Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, as title says i'm curious about this, now that VAP doesn't sell it, i'd like you guys to enlighten me on the process, parts needed, time it would take, and any ideas where I could find the parts for it. I just really wanna start gathering information and I am seriously thinking of doing the swap coming up. Also, well worth it for those that have it? I'm not trying to build some monster race-car out of my v6, just trying to make it more enjoyable to drive.

Thanks in advance!

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
how about research first of all?
Like 3 members here already made install threads about it :facepalm

03cristian

·
SpamBOT
91 Posts

03cristian
hey you! be nice! the best thing would be to direct him to a thread rather than be rude. just cuz this is the internet doesnt mean being rude is acceptable.

Now to answer to question:
youll need to take the upper intake off a 1996-1998 windstar and get some plating for this. youll need to relocate your IAC and in my opinion its a nice time to delete EGR. Get the VAP angled spacer and lengthen the stock TB jig so you can get full throttle. you will also need to make a throttle bracket and a place to mount the coil pack.

With that said go to VAP auto and look at his DIY instruction sheet

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey you! be nice! the best thing would be to direct him to a thread rather than be rude. just cuz this is the internet doesnt mean being rude is acceptable.

Now to answer to question:
youll need to take the upper intake off a 1996-1998 windstar and get some plating for this. youll need to relocate your IAC and in my opinion its a nice time to delete EGR. Get the VAP angled spacer and lengthen the stock TB jig so you can get full throttle. you will also need to make a throttle bracket and a place to mount the coil pack.

With that said go to VAP auto and look at his DIY instruction sheet
Thank you, i was unsure what year windstar, what else was involved, and what is an EGR, why is deleting it beneficial, and how hard is this install, (be honest) I'm not a great mechanic, but i'm sure with proper instructions and time i could do it.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

03cristian
well, considering they used the VAP kit most likely, it was probably different. I planned on searching for other threads also, but what would it hurt to get current opinions on it? I'm just seeing what kind of information forum members could give me in my own thread along with info I can read for myself. No need to be rude bro.

·
Watch n learn
876 Posts
Thank you, i was unsure what year windstar, what else was involved, and what is an EGR, why is deleting it beneficial, and how hard is this install, (be honest) I'm not a great mechanic, but i'm sure with proper instructions and time i could do it.
It's not too hard to do, but if you're not a great mechanic, plan to spend at least 6 hours doing it, but likely much more, you'd need to be at least a bit mechanically inclined or don't bother, you may cause more problems thank its worth. EGR is Exhaust Gas Recirculation, feeds exhaust gas back into the engine, strictly for emissions, but absolutely NO performance benefit, so no point removing it.
If you plan to pull the intake yourself, step one is remove the cowl from the van, need a 15mm for the wipers, then hit the studs with a hammer while pulling up the arms, and an 8mm for the cowl mounts, there's 8 or so. After that you'll need a 10mm for the intake, possibly others, don't remember. If you're pulling this you might as well pull the rear valve cover as well, I believe the coil mounts to it, then use it for yours.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To be honest, after looking at all of this info, it looks like A LOT for someone like me with minimal knowledge and skills to take on. I think I can deal with not doing that swap i guess lol.

·
2013 5.0
2,983 Posts
It's not too hard to do, but if you're not a great mechanic, plan to spend at least 6 hours doing it, but likely much more, you'd need to be at least a bit mechanically inclined or don't bother, you may cause more problems thank its worth. EGR is Exhaust Gas Recirculation, feeds exhaust gas back into the engine, strictly for emissions, but absolutely NO performance benefit, so no point removing it.
If you plan to pull the intake yourself, step one is remove the cowl from the van, need a 15mm for the wipers, then hit the studs with a hammer while pulling up the arms, and an 8mm for the cowl mounts, there's 8 or so. After that you'll need a 10mm for the intake, possibly others, don't remember. If you're pulling this you might as well pull the rear valve cover as well, I believe the coil mounts to it, then use it for yours.
You can pull it with just the hood popped... all you need is a 10mm hex socket... nothing else... maybe a flat head screwdriver helps to get the intake pipe off.

·
Registered
80 Posts
it's great to have friends who can or tools for yourself to cut and weld brackets, drill/tap the intake for IAC relocation isn't a big deal just have to be careful and don't break it loose when you get done, not much for it to bite to..

get a hood scoop on factory hood (or an aftermarket with at least 2" more clearance, no cutting needed for it of course) and just cut a hole underneath, says a lot of trouble by not having to relocate IAC brackets and hoses etc running around

·
Registered
658 Posts
slonison's how to needs to be a sticky in the v6 how to...if its not already (didnt look)
his info helped me alot.

and its not that hard to do..more common sense then anything. i had to trim the underside of my stock hood around the throttle body because i didnt have the spacer at the time and i didnt want to wait.

·
Watch n learn
876 Posts
You can pull it with just the hood popped... all you need is a 10mm hex socket... nothing else... maybe a flat head screwdriver helps to get the intake pipe off.
Lol, sure you CAN, but it take maybe 5 minutes to remove and it makes it much, much easier.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello, I dont want to make another thread so I'll ask on this one.

to extend the throttle body cable jig. How do I go about doing so if VAPauto no longer sells their throttle body kits individually? I tried emailing him multiple times concerning sales. No reply. Should I get a machine shop to fabricate me a jig???

If I delete the egr do I have to get a tune? Will a CEL show up?

So far I have the windstar manifold. Not sure what other OEM parts I can use or need from a windstar?

Thanks.

·
Watch n learn
876 Posts
You could just use trial and error and make your own, it's not that hard to do.

As far as egr goes, there's no reason to remove it, most why would you? Yes you wold need a tune to get rid of the check engine light.

If you have access to one I believe the right valve cover has the coil mounting on it, so grab that as well.

·
SpamBOT
91 Posts
You could just use trial and error and make your own, it's not that hard to do.

As far as egr goes, there's no reason to remove it, most why would you? Yes you wold need a tune to get rid of the check engine light.

If you have access to one I believe the right valve cover has the coil mounting on it, so grab that as well.
i say remove it just cuz it goes in cleaner that way. matter of opinion though

·
2013 5.0
2,983 Posts
Hello, I dont want to make another thread so I'll ask on this one.

to extend the throttle body cable jig. How do I go about doing so if VAPauto no longer sells their throttle body kits individually? I tried emailing him multiple times concerning sales. No reply. Should I get a machine shop to fabricate me a jig???

If I delete the egr do I have to get a tune? Will a CEL show up?

So far I have the windstar manifold. Not sure what other OEM parts I can use or need from a windstar?

Thanks.
Sorry but this is the type of stuff that sets me off... my post above clearly answers this....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts