Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a soldier in the army with a pretty big problem. My car broke down. It is a great car but just wont work right now.

HISTORY OF PROBLEM: My wife was driving home from the hospital when all of a sudden she said it started losing hoarse power. she would push gas pedle down but it would not go faster. After a couple sec. she heard a pinging noise from right side of engine. The engine then staled ( no back fire) It started up one time after that but within one minute it stoped. It has not started since.

AFTER: The engine will turn over very fast but will not fire off.

CHECKED: We checked to make sure the spark plugs would fire off and they did. We checked to make sure the compression was good and it was. We checked to make sure we had fuel pressure and we did. We checked to see if there was any codes with a code finder and there wasnt.

INTERVENTIOns: the only way to get the motor to fire up is if you spray carb. cleaner in the intake it will turn on for a couple sec.

REPLACED SINCE PROBLEM: fuel pump, spark plugs, crank position sensor, fuel filter

Other than that i have had 4 different mechanis look at it and no one can figure out what is wrong please help i have a famiy of four and this is our only transportation, i haev no other way to get my family around and have spent over $450 already and gatten no where. PLEASE HELP

·
Banned
636 Posts
Well if it wants to start with carb cleaner and not on its own, Id deffinately say its a fuel issue. Could be your injectors, might have to get them cleaned (most places can do this). Im pretty sure its fuel related being that it started pinging (meaning probably loss of fuel) but just not sure what. Fuel preassure means the pump is working which is good.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
I'm with fuel as well, injectors seem to be your last thing to check since you replaced the pump and filter. Lines may be clogged also... but start with injectors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all the advice, and i think it has to do with fuel as well, however like i said we changed out the spark plugs and every time we turn over the engine the spark plugs get alot of fuel on them, and floods the engine if we try to much, i have even taken them all out and blown out the engine and put the plugs back in with no change. It still just turns over really fast but doesnt start, the only time i can get it to start for a couple sec is if i blow carb cleaner in the carborator. so WTF i know it is getting gas and even if it was the injectors it would still start just not stay running right

·
Registered
144 Posts
INERTIA FUEL CUTOFF!!

Here in bumpy Colorado this exact S*** happens all the *&%^&$& time... Your driving along and the engine starves out for fuel... It losses power, sputters, dies, might restart a little at first... You crank it and it tries to kick till the battery dies...

The fuel tank has a crash sensor switch that cuts gas flow in the case of an accident. It is a weight that trips the fuel pump's electrical supply in case of a jolt. But sometimes if you hit a bump, or the trigger just decides to trip while driving, the cutoff valve shuts off the fuel.

http://team-titanium.com/Mustang/FUpumpSwitch.jpg

ford INERTIA FUEL CUTOFF - Google Search

The SOB can fool even old Ford mechanics (guess how I know :rolleyes: ) My dealer actually specifically pointed it out to me when I bought it... But it was a cold morning and getting to work was the priority... After towing, sitting at the dealer for two days, and $250 dollars later... I only had to push the white button to make it go again... :mad: The dealer took pity on me and changed the oil, washed it and filled it with gas :)

A few years latter it dropped dead in the driveway... :( In desparation I pushed the little button and it made a "click"... WTF!!! Car started right up.... :eek:

This very well may not be it. But for what you describe, it is the #1 simple first thing to check. If it is indeed all it was, join the club buddy ;)

I actually hope this is not it... It would just be so sad... :sorry

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
^ Is that on a 95 stang as well? Should i reset it just for the hell of it?

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
I don't think it's the inertia switch. He said when they try to start the car the plugs get fuel on them and if they try too much they flood the engine. If the inertia switch came unplugged there wouldn't be any fuel going to the engine and by now his fuel lines would be empty.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Probably not but it's easy enough to reset so might as well try.

Your symptoms don't really add up.. You say you have fuel on the plugs yet also spark and it isn't igniting?

You better go recheck and make sure you're getting spark and fuel, maybe in a different way than before.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
checked again

I know I am getting spark and fuel.

I checked the spark by holding spark plug by the engine block and gat a nice big spark also we pulled it out and held it right next to the plug and it sparked. just for the hell of it I also put all new spark plugs.

I know I am getting gas because i put new plugs in and tried to start it and went and checked again and the plugs where flooded. I also just for the hell of it replaced the fuel pump and filter. And for the record I did push that little white button and no change.

So it is getting spark and gas so WTF it just will not ignite

·
Registered
277 Posts
Only thing I can think of would be compression, but you already said you checked that.. did you just use a finger or an actual pressure guage?

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
I'd suspect the crankshaft position sensor. If that is sending a bad signal, the timing could be way off. That would result with a extreme loss of power, trouble or no start issues, pinging, and could possibly be intermittent, fooling the techs. I would expect it to throw a code, but sometimes it may not.

·
Banned
636 Posts
I'd suspect the crankshaft position sensor. If that is sending a bad signal, the timing could be way off. That would result with a extreme loss of power, trouble or no start issues, pinging, and could possibly be intermittent, fooling the techs. I would expect it to throw a code, but sometimes it may not.
I was just thinking the same thing. But I think he mentioned he switched that out as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
crank position sensor

yes sir already checked and bought a new one for it. So again I replaced the fuel filter fuel pump spark plugs crank shaft position sensor. Also I checked the compression with a guage not by finger same for fuel pressure guage red 205 for compression

·
Registered
144 Posts
If your getting a spark and have proper fuel pressure (it is important that the fuels does have significant pressure), it must be the injectors are not firing if the thing does not even try to sputter or kick over. Even if the firing were random it would kick or something instead of just turning with the starter with no sign of life at all.

I would check the error codes again just to see if anything has come up. Water in the gas is a possibility. Or major contamination. An Engine Control Computer failure is possible too if the injector transistor drivers have lost power (or their ground). Check the injector wiring for any damage, loose connectors and all that.

At that point I would go to a salvage yard and get an old injector off a scrapped engine (or a new one, but they are costly) and check to see if the injector clicks open at all (just like using an extra plug for checking the spark.) Of course you don't need the fuel hooked to it just to check the mechanical valve opening. If you could positively pin it down to the injectors staying closed that would help a lot. Unfortunately, if that is the case it might need a new ECM and a Ford dealer to fix.

I suppose too if the ECM lost all power it would all go dead too. But that should be pretty obvious and you would not be able to pull error codes unless something super screwed up were going on. I don't know if a simple "fuse" somewhere could knock out a car like this.

I wish it were here. I would tear into the SOB all night long to find it for you!! (I am a failure analysis electrical engineer by trade). But all I can do to help here is type...

I wonder if like a timing chain broke and the cam shaft is dead. But I think that is pretty odd on the V6 unless a bunch of gear teeth broke... Speculation is getting wild now...

I wish you the best of luck. But it might be a full blown Ford master mechanic thing...

Terry

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I'd check the injectors. I have a full set of injectors I could send you if you pay shipping...

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'd check the injectors. I have a full set of injectors I could send you if you pay shipping...
"I" will pay the shipping here if that is the only problems standing in the way of finding the answer to this interesting problem... ::) Just PM me an I will paypal it :D But if you don't use them all , send me three just to "study" :eek:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Armybillyboy let me know if you want to try the injectors and I'll give gandolf my PayPal info.

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
yes sir already checked and bought a new one for it. So again I replaced the fuel filter fuel pump spark plugs crank shaft position sensor. Also I checked the compression with a guage not by finger same for fuel pressure guage red 205 for compression
maybe its the camshaft position sensor. I have seen cases where it might throw a Crankshaft sensor code when the camshaft sensor is acting up (the ecu knows one if off, but doesn't know which one)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts