Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a question...

Junkyard knicked the passenger side valve cover with the Sawzall when yanking the motor I bought.

So it has a nice hole in it... not too bad though.

Replacements are available in the yards, but they're different, older, styles and I'm really digging the smooth '07 style covers...

Cances of me finding another totalled '07 are slim to none... so I'm contemplating repair.

SO, with that in mind... It looks like these covers are made of some type of molded plastic?? Which, if I'm thinking correctly, a nice fiberglass patch could be put in place, sanded smooth, and painted to look nice.

Anybody see any issues with this? Better idea? Or too risky and just replace them and hope for nicer covers to surface later on?

Pic of the damage:

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Replace it. or duct tape it and spray prime black lol .

but really i would replace it. valvetrain parts are RIGHT there. so thats not too good.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Did they pull that engine blindfolded, or what? Amatuers. Make sure there are no bits of sawzall or anything else that doesnt belong in there. You never know. Take no chances.

If it were mine, id replace the cover rather than repair it.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
junkyards have no care at all when pulling motors. you should most definitely replace it. dont spend time trying to fix it then have it fail later on down the road whether soon or not. id want to be sure of it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I found a decent set off of a early Crown Vic.

I'll just have to see if I can sand the "ribs" off for that smooth look.

Thanks all, saved me some time and headache trying to fix the old ones... LOL.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did they pull that engine blindfolded, or what? Amatuers. Make sure there are no bits of sawzall or anything else that doesnt belong in there. You never know. Take no chances.

If it were mine, id replace the cover rather than repair it.
Yeah, I made sure it was clean.

Pulled out a chunk of cover from the pan, engine has ben rotated over and over and nothing's dragging or hitting... so I think I'm good.

I still can't believe he nailed that... But a 60K running motor for $400 kind of makes up for that :naughty: lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts