Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have the oem valve covers and always assumed they were plastic??? can i powder coat these? can i just paint them with body color paint. i dont wanna use the typical high temp engine enamel paint. want to get them as close to body color as possible. thanks for any help fellas :)

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
they are plastic. you can use whatever paint you want. durability is tougher to achieve with the plastic but you can always use a high temp clear coat to protect it

·
Registered
189 Posts
Try contacting a place that does powder coating. Don't bother with Sherwin Williams though. They carry high temp paint but can't color match it. I wouldn't trust regular paint on the covers but that's just my $.02.

Sent from my XT907 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
forgot to mention you cannot powdercoat plastic.
powdercoating requires an electric charge which plastic cant hold and the part needs to be baked in an oven for powdercoat to cure.
best bet if you want to match your body color is find the closest you can. Duplicolor has a ton of different colors and im sure you can find a match. spray em then high temp clear coat.
thats what i would do

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
If it was my car, I would do it right. Buy a set of bare steel valve covers and get em painted by a company that can powder coat em to match the paint. Its something that will look awesome, and will stay on the car for the life of the car. Do it right man.

·
SleeperStang
3,924 Posts
forgot to mention you cannot powdercoat plastic.
powdercoating requires an electric charge which plastic cant hold and the part needs to be baked in an oven for powdercoat to cure.
best bet if you want to match your body color is find the closest you can. Duplicolor has a ton of different colors and im sure you can find a match. spray em then high temp clear coat.
thats what i would do
2nd that iv called a couple shops and they all say the same thing.

check this link out
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/96-98/238729-valve-cover-painting.html

·
Registered
189 Posts
Can't you use the valve covers off of a 5.4l engine??? I know some of those have a metal valve cover. Might be able to powder coat those.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
as long as they are the correct bolt pattern. most are the 13 bolt pattern. not sure what he needs. but if you find any 2v metal valve covers a powdercoat shop should be able to match pretty closely to your paint

·
Registered
189 Posts
Go to the Junkyard, take them off of an 5.4 Expedition and try them on a Crown Vic, Mustang, or T-Bird with 4.6L engines. Easy way to find out.

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i've seen 2 sn's with the valve covers just painted with base/clear. looked pretty good imo. both were silver, lol. so you guys think over time that the base/clear will start to look bad from the heat?

the only metal ones i've seen are these ****in ugly bbk ones. they dont seem to have much to offer 96-98's :(. actually wouldnt it be 96-04's?

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
Valve covers are fiberglass guys. If you don't believe me go take a hammer to a set and see for yourself.

You can paint them just use a high temp primer and paint.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts