Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult is it to replace valve covers on a 2005 mustang gt? Also, would you recommend the Ford Racing valve covers. I wanted to go with blue.

Thanks a lot.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
super easy. shouldn't take you more than 30 min. i do like the covers that frpp has now with their logo on them.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Just remember to put 2 small dabs of silicone where the timing cover meets the cyl. head when you put the valve covers back on.

·
3v reppin'
3,454 Posts
super easy. shouldn't take you more than 30 min. i do like the covers that frpp has now with their logo on them.
Is it super easy even if your mechanical skills are suspect?

·
Registered
623 Posts
what is the purpose of the silicone?
To ensure you won't have an oil leak. You will see where the factory used a small amount of silicone. I like to use Permatex Ultra Grey in that area.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
Is it super easy even if your mechanical skills are suspect?
yes it still is super easy. just make sure you clean the area to make sure no dirt or debri falls in after you remove the covers. this is something anyone with a basic home tool kit can do. you'll only need (iirc) a 10MM socket, short extension, and the ratchet to go with it. also as said above use a dab of silicone to keep the seal. this is because the head and front cover need that little dab to seal properly.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
it took me about an hour at least:(. Its not a hard job just a little trickey getting them back on with out scratching them.

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
make sure you loosen the bolt holding the dip stick tube to the block. it'll make it a hell of a lot easier getting the driver's side on and off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts