Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
just finished putting my engine back together today, painted the valve covers, throttle body and fuel rails like Namelessliar, here's a couple of pics. i ground all the casting marks off the valve covers and throttle body before i painted them it helped clean up the look of them quite a bit. they look a bit darker in person than they do in the pics, if anything they are closest to the picture of them off the car.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys! i think it's the same color you used Luis

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Which color was this/where did ya get it from? I was actually looking at doing this over spring break next week and the color turned out nice for you!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks man. it's called 'Old Ford Blue', duplicolor engine enamel, i got it at autozone. primed, put 2 coats and then used the clear coat on it. it's a little bit darker in person than it is in the pictures and IMO it compliments the alloy pretty nicely.

·
Registered
543 Posts
How much time/tools/skill/cost do you need to remove the cam covers and tbody and paint them and bolt them back on?

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
They look great...
I was looking at my valve covers.... I am sure it would take me forever

·
Registered
818 Posts
nice write up luis...I may give this a shot this weekend

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey thanks everyone... it takes virtually no skill, all of the electric plugs are fit so you can't screw anything up, just keep track of which bolts go where and you're golden. the hardest part is not scratching/denting the paint when putting them back on. actually even worse is masking off areas before painting, that makes me want to slit my wrists it's so damn tedious.

if you want to know tools/time, you only need a 1/4" socket drive with a bunch of sockets, a flat head screw driver, and possibly a torques head bit if you want to disassemble the throttle body. you also may need some type of form-a-gasket for putting the valve covers back on, it should go on the seam between the head and the timing chain cover. for time breakdown:
disassembly: 1-2hrs
prep : 1 hr
paint : 1 hr
reassemble: 1-2 hrs
so figure 4-6 hrs total start to finish.

·
Blood, Sweat and Gears...
2,139 Posts
Thats got to be good for 5 hp at least:cool:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Excellent work. Every time I see somebody do that it makes me want to break out the rattle can even more. Very nicely done.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts