Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I finally got time to readjust the valve lash, I started with cylinder #1 and followed the directions in the sticky for "Tech article directory" subtitle "valve lash adjustment." I backed off the adjusting nut and let the lifter and pushrod sit with no pressure for about two minutes and then start to tighten the adjusting nut while turning the pushrod and once I felt a slight resistance then from there I turned the adjusting nut 1/4 turn. I did all the valves this way, then started the car and it sounded terrible so I quickly turned it off, checked the oil and it was about a quart low so topped of the oil started it back up and still didn't sound good, then tried it a couple more times and then it quitend down. Now the thorttle respose is much different and it sounds different but a good different. Was the reason for the initial noisey start up is that the lifters had build up oil pressure to tighten up the lifter and pushrod???

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any ideas???

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
You did each valve when they where completely closed and not all at the same time, right?

Can say that I know why it would sound bad after adjusting the valves unless you messed something up??

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You did each valve when they where completely closed and not all at the same time, right?

Can say that I know why it would sound bad after adjusting the valves unless you messed something up??
This is how I did it cylinder by cylinder:

The only method to adjust valves properly is as follows
1 Turn the motor over till the exhaust valve just starts to open.
2 Adjust the intake valve on that cylinder (I loosened the rocker so that the lifter could adjust 1.5-2 minutes just in case there was to much preload to begin with, then just turn the pushrod with my thumb and pointing finger untill I felt a slight resistence then went 1/4 round)
3 Turn the motor over till the intake valve starts to close
4 Adjust the exhaust valve
This will work on any motor and any cam.

This is what I did on all the valves

The engine seems to rev much quicker and the throttle response seems very resposive. By doing these adjustments, would it affect the A/F ratio???

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Sounds like you have a bit of valve train noise from the lash being a bit on the loose side. Probably not a big deal.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like you have a bit of valve train noise from the lash being a bit on the loose side. Probably not a big deal.
Do you think I should go back and maybe go another 1/4 turn to make it a 1/2 turn total??? Didn't you say you if my rockers were to tight that was probably what caused the rpm's on the dyno sheet to be lower than what you expected??? (Dyno sheet 5250-5500 vs. your suggetion 6200-6250)

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Do you think I should go back and maybe go another 1/4 turn to make it a 1/2 turn total??? Didn't you say you if my rockers were to tight that was probably what caused the rpm's on the dyno sheet to be lower than what you expected??? (Dyno sheet 5250-5500 vs. your suggetion 6200-6250)
Its hard to tell without physically seeing the car but from the sounds of it I'd just leave it unless the valve train noise bothers you. Too tight is going to hurt you more than too loose will.

Reactions: shurb125

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds good, thanks for your help Darrell and Ryan

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Yeah, a little valve lash isn't going to hurt anything, it is just going to make noise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts