Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so some one told me there is no valve lash adjustment for the roller 5.0, he said you just torque down the rockers to spec. i wanna do a cam in by car and im just researching if i can do it myself.

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
That's BULLSMACK dude,there is valve lash for the roller motors, hell you torque down to much, you'll end up with a candy cane cam or another dildo for the ladies. I know that because a local shop was lashing my rockers on my 88 GT a while back when I had a trickflow stage II cam installed at the time.

I'm not going to say anything about however told you that, but I would listen to Ryans88GT, Darrell, StangZilla on here, they know what they talk about. Don't go listening to people who don't own mustangs or cars period and let them tell you what can and can't be don't when they barely know how to torque a bolt on a mountain bike.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
^^^Yeah, thats a bunch of bullshit. Lash doesnt set it self. What kind of roller are you going to use? If its a custom grind, your cam grinder will tell you exactly where the lash needs to be. If its an off the shelf grind, theres a typical amount thats expected with most performance cams. Cant make suggestions without knowing what type of cam your going to use.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
1/4 to 3/4 turn of the bolt past zero lash is the correct setting. For the stock style pedestles this means you might need shims in order to get to the correct torque and still have the correct lash, since there is a torque specification and a lash specification.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
1/4 to 3/4 turn of the bolt past zero lash is the correct setting. For the stock style pedestles this means you might need shims in order to get to the correct torque and still have the correct lash, since there is a torque specification and a lash specification.
+1

·
Registered
698 Posts
im talkin about a stock motor. he said the lifters are hydralic and fill up with oil and adjust themselves. but if i did go with a new cam it would prob be trickflow stage 1 and 1.6 roller rockers.
True. Proper lifter preload for stock pedestal rocker style heads (if adjustment is needed) is achieved using shim kits available from companies such as crane. If you can't get enough preload, longer push rods are needed. Pedestal rocker bolts are torqued to 22 ft. lbs. Under normal conditions with stock components, push rods, lifters, rockers, cams etc. shims are not needed as factory tolerances were real close. I've never found a shim under any pedestal rocker that I've removed from a stock engine, that does not mean there aren't any, I've just never found one. If you don't torque down the pedestal retainer bolt, ugly things will happen.

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
^ Sometimes that's the case... and rtesponding to the statement waaaay above, it doesen't matter if it's bare bone stock or high performance cam or stock rockers or not, roller or not... You have to lash eithier way. There's just more adjustment with aftermarket rockers like Harland Sharps or Comp.

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts

Adding on to that, if you're not sure about lashing or don't have the proper tools... Once you've taken off the screw for the rocker or have adding new ones, Screw the nut down until it starts "fighting back" meaning until you feel ever so slight tightness, then do your 1/4 - 3/4 turn for your baseline. I've set mine that several times before just to get the ball rolling and then I set my lash afterwards.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts