Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may know by now I'm about to replace the cams and springs on my 03 Cobra motor. I think I've got the cam part squared away (minus the LCA's and LSA. Probably 114/114 though) and now I need to look at the valve springs. Since I'm running FR500 cams, I'll need to replace the valve springs with the matching FR500 ones I have.

Note: $83 for the cam degreeing kit from Summit, $110 for the OTC toolkit already :mad: Then there's still assembly lube, solid lash adjuster, $8 cam bolts...

1.) Does anyone have a good writeup for valve spring removal/installation, preferrably without removing the heads? I've searched here, Google, SVTP, and Corral.

2.) Can anyone reccommend a good spring removal tool, other than the $200 OTC one? I've seen others mention they've used a $20 Sears one (with heads off) and someone said they used a "modified" Autozone one.

3.) Does anyone know the best place to get a solid lash adjuster?

Hopefully na svt and DickH will chime in here, I have a feeling they'd be the ones to know, especially since I saw them pop up over on Corral too.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I can send you my lash aduster, modified follower and spring tool.

Is the combo n/a or FI? Compression? If FI, what type of blower?

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can send you my lash aduster, modified follower and spring tool.

Is the combo n/a or FI? Compression? If FI, what type of blower?
I actually was waiting on a price quote from Tousley ford for the spring tool and lash adjuster, but I can't refuse that. I also didn't know you use a modified follower?

Either way I'll definitely have to send reps and a few bucks your way.

And the combo is FI, 8.6:1 CR, Eaton M112 blower, FR500 cams and springs, planning 114/118 LCA's.

Logic: Even though the cams are designed for 109/109 (very tight high HP NA application), stock NA cams for Cobras are 114/114, and aftermarket blower specific cams usually spread in the 116-118 range. Thus I'll run what is basically a 116/116 +2. I think this should be sufficiently agressive without causing any problems, only pushing the envelope a little if you will.

Great writeups on Corral too btw.

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
Since I'm running FR500 cams, I'll need to replace the valve springs with the matching FR500 ones I have.
Someone correct me but aren't the fr500 springs taller, and thats why they have their own followers? I could be wrong, but if I were you I would double check the fine details before throwing the fr500 springs on the stock valves with stock followers.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Someone correct me but aren't the fr500 springs taller, and thats why they have their own followers? I could be wrong, but if I were you I would double check the fine details before throwing the fr500 springs on the stock valves with stock followers.
The FR500 cam kit has the speciall followers due to the shorter exhaust valve tips.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The FR500 cam kit has the speciall followers due to the shorter exhaust valve tips. The springs can be used with any valve/follower/head combo.
That's what I thought.

Is there a reason you reccommend 111/118? Which is basically a 114.5/114.5 +3.5. Would that setup be advantageous to have a tighter LSA and larger advance, than a wider LSA and less advance? I assume the tighter LSA and larger advance would favor higher RPM operation? I would have guessed a wider LSA (and less overlap) would benefit the Eaton, especially down low, and I wasn't terribly concerned with very high RPM performance, as it's primarily a street car that is unlikely to see much time above 6000RPM.

Though I do recognize with the small difference of a few degrees we're essentially splitting hairs here.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Is there a reason you reccommend 111/118? Which is basically a 114.5/114.5 +3.5. Would that setup be advantageous to have a tighter LSA and larger advance, than a wider LSA and less advance? I assume the tighter LSA and larger advance would favor higher RPM operation? I would have guessed a wider LSA (and less overlap) would benefit the Eaton, especially down low, and I wasn't terribly concerned with very high RPM performance, as it's primarily a street car that is unlikely to see much time above 6000RPM.
The advanced intake cam will open and close the valve sooner which will fill the cylinder earier in the cycle and also increase the dynamic compression ratio. A benefit of this in improved pre-boost power and driveability. The advanced exhaust valve will get the gasses out and also reduce overlap which isn't beneficial to a PD blown combo. The combo will pick up about 30ftlbs of tq by advancing the intake cams 3-4 degrees. I've advanced stock 03/04 cams to 108 and picked up 30ft lbs.

Combing FI friendly rearend gears, very short intake runners, wide LSA-high intake LCs and low compression makes for poor driveability and preboost power.

I was in Mooresville yesterday picking up a 4k, dual disk converter, an engine and also dropping of my trans for a quick rebuild. How far away are you from there. I'll be going there again in about two weeks to pick up the trans and could bring you the stuff.

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
The FR500 cam kit has the speciall followers due to the shorter exhaust valve tips. The springs can be used with any valve/follower/head combo.
Im pretty sure the springs are taller and because of that the keepers sat higher up on the valve. Are you sure there wont be any problems with the springs on stock valves?

·
Registered
739 Posts
you can get a valve spring removal tool for 20 bucks but u have to hammer on to the part of the tool that sits on top of the spring because it comes to wide after u get it to sit right on top of the spring it works great but before u do any of that take a socket and place it on top of all spring and give it a nice wack with a mallet and then use the tool...this is what i did

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
you can get a valve spring removal tool for 20 bucks but u have to hammer on to the part of the tool that sits on top of the spring because it comes to wide after u get it to sit right on top of the spring it works great but before u do any of that take a socket and place it on top of all spring and give it a nice wack with a mallet and then use the tool...this is what i did
you can't use a $20 spring compressor when the heads are installed.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Im pretty sure the springs are taller and because of that the keepers sat higher up on the valve. Are you sure there wont be any problems with the springs on stock valves?

Damn, I hate being wrong. Dick, you are correct, the FR intake valves do have a higher installed spring height. It's not high enough to require a special follower but it is high enough to require the longer FR spring. With that, the FR springs should not be used with stock valves because they will bind.

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
Yeah I knew the spring/valve thing was different for the fr500 setup, I just wasnt sure if the springs would be ok on stock valves. I am a little familiar with that because I wanted to use slightly larger exhaust valves but I didnt want to fuss with getting new springs.

I could be wrong but the cheapest option might be to buy springs from someone upgrading springs on a 97/98 cobra. If I remember correctly they got better springs.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the good news is they don't look like the FR500 springs, they look to be 2" tall, about 0.75" ID, so I guess I won't need new valves.

The bad news? I really need to check what the hell they are, as well as the cams. If I got a set of stockers someone's going to get one hell of an ass kicking. :mad:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Well the good news is they don't look like the FR500 springs, they look to be 2" tall, about 0.75" ID, so I guess I won't need new valves.

The bad news? I really need to check what the hell they are, as well as the cams. If I got a set of stockers someone's going to get one hell of an ass kicking. :mad:
At 2" tall they are more than likely FR springs. The purple stripe may have worn off. Also, I bet if you put a measuring tool in the ID (top) of the spring you'll find it's a bit smaller than .75", probably more like .65". I'm going to take my FR springs to the shop and get the pressures at installed heights of 1.55" and 1.42" and also at .480" to see if they can be used with the stock springs. If the can't, you may be able to get offset retainers so they can be used with your valves.

The cam part numbers are:
XE-6A270-287689 Right (passenger) Intake Cam
XE-6A271-287690 Left (driver) Intake Cam
XE-6A272-290701 Right (passlenger) Exhaust Cam
XE-6A273-290702 Left (driver) Exhaust Cam

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
At 2" tall they are more than likely FR springs. The purple stripe may have worn off. Also, I bet if you put a measuring tool in the ID (top) of the spring you'll find it's a bit smaller than .75", probably more like .65". I'm going to take my FR springs to the shop and get the pressures at installed heights of 1.55" and 1.42" and also at .480" to see if they can be used with the stock springs. If the can't, you may be able to get offset retainers so they can be used with your valves.

The cam part numbers are:
XE-6A270-287689 Right (passenger) Intake Cam
XE-6A271-287690 Left (driver) Intake Cam
XE-6A272-290701 Right (passlenger) Exhaust Cam
XE-6A273-290702 Left (driver) Exhaust Cam
That would be phenomenal if I could use these springs, even if it requires offset retainers.

I'll have to check the cam numbers, assuming they are in fact FRPP products.

Never a dull moment. I can honestly say I've never gone through this much trouble with installing new cams on a pushrod motor. You took your valve covers off, took off the rockers, pulled the pushrods and lifters, then installed your cam, degreed it, reinstalled everything else, and set the lash. Ah, the old days.

Thanks to all for educating me on the nuances of the modular motor.

EDIT: damn, it won't let me rep you na svt.

Update: I actually used my work template for the remaining parts/tools. Shame I can't upload an Excel table.
List:
Cam bolts ($3.10/bolt) - Tousley Ford through SVTP.
OTC 6498 cam degreeing tool kit ($104) OTC 6498 at automotivetoolsonline
Ford spring removal tool (4v specific) - $117 at Tousley through SVTP, hopefully I can borrow this from na svt
Solid lifter - also hope I can borrow this from na svt
Cam degreeing kit ($84)- Summit Cam degreeing kit
New 1/2" Torque Wrench - (my old beam style one sucks)- Tq Wrench $60 at Sears

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Time for an update.

I could fudge the springs enough to work, by using 0.060" offset retainers from a 2v, and 0.050" offset keepers. But that probably isn't the smartest.

Spring installed height:
FR500 - 1.55"
Stock - 1.42"
Difference - 0.13"

I have several options, including taking off the heads and replacing valves, cutting the spring seat, etc..

But I think the wisest move would just be to get new springs. Crower's 68194-32's should be just fine for 0.472" lift, as would just about any stage 2 spring. Unfortunately they're $590 :mad: which is more than I paid for these cams and springs! :mad:

I had seen a link to a company pro power parts which offered a suitable spring for $4.61/spring, which would have been awesome! Unfortunately it appears they're out of business. Lousy luck.

I guess I'll try to sell/trade my stockers and FR500's for some decent stock height springs. [I see na svt is trying to unload a set of FR's on corral as we speak...]

Any reccommendations for where to buy a good set would be greatly appreciated!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts