Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
You need the proper springs for the cam you choose.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm still learning cams, with the new cam would I need all new retainers, lifters, and springs.

If just springs which springs should I go with.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm still learning cams, so I would need to know which springs to get get and I mean EXACT springs to go with an f303 cam. This will be on stock heads for a good amount of time with cobra intakes unless I can find some gt40's for sale.

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thumper Ported E7s (219/155 cfm)
  • Performance Vassco dual springs, moley keepers and retainers
  • For cams to .600 lift (not included)
  • Stock valve size for the Killer low end throttle responce, and the flow for the mid to top end
  • Optional - Machined for Screw in studs and guide plates (for adjustable valve train) - Add $100.00
  • Optional - Roller Timing Chain Gear Set w/3* Key way (for advancing /retarding Camshaft) - Add $64.95 + shipping
  • $695.00 + 100.00 refundable core charge
So that is a full head right their?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Your cam provider can and will recommend the proper valve springs. Using the wrong vavle springs can open a novel of problems, and its something alot of people try to save a buck on.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bought my cam of latemodelrestoration, but ****ed up my motor mounts order, so when I call them to fix it, I will ask about springs for my fcam. I'm pretty sure that I'm still going with gt40p heads still, and might just replace the valve springs.

But if those thumper heads are a full heads for only about 650 bucks I think I'm ganna go that route.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Thumper Ported E7s (219/155 cfm)
  • Performance Vassco dual springs, moley keepers and retainers
  • For cams to .600 lift (not included)
  • Stock valve size for the Killer low end throttle responce, and the flow for the mid to top end
  • Optional - Machined for Screw in studs and guide plates (for adjustable valve train) - Add $100.00
  • Optional - Roller Timing Chain Gear Set w/3* Key way (for advancing /retarding Camshaft) - Add $64.95 + shipping
  • $695.00 + 100.00 refundable core charge
So that is a full head right their?
That is a pretty steep price for E7 heads. I'd dump a couple hundred dollars on a set of P heads before I'd buy ported E7s. I'd love to see those heads flown on an independent bench....

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm still pretty sure I'm going with the gt40p heads. I'm still wondering if I need to replace the valve springs because of my fcam. Can someone let me know. And if so what size?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
That is a pretty steep price for E7 heads. I'd dump a couple hundred dollars on a set of P heads before I'd buy ported E7s. I'd love to see those heads flown on an independent bench....
700 for e7s FTL... thats a lot of $$ for minimal cfm. 220 cfm is stretching it a bit to me thinks.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I'm still pretty sure I'm going with the gt40p heads. I'm still wondering if I need to replace the valve springs because of my fcam. Can someone let me know. And if so what size?
I ran an f-cam with stock springs on an e7 with no problems, but I think I was lucky. I never revved past 6k and usually shifted around 5600-5800, but....I WAS LUCKY, and prolly a lil ignorant too.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well I found a decently pair of fresh gt40p heads for 250. I bought my fcam and it should be here next week. So I need to find some springs to work on the fcam with these heads. What would you suggest.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I think, I'm not sure but the spring dia. has to be larger than 1.45. the bosses for the valve and seal are huge on gt40s and e7s.
.550 max lift should be fine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
You need the proper springs for the cam you choose.
Darrel Im running the comp beehive valve springs. I have only heard good things about them. Beehive valve springs have been known in the industry as having a lower mass at the retainer end thus allowing for better valve control. Do you think this would be a good spring for flattus78 to use. I think its a good option. Any opinions on this?

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Darrel Im running the comp beehive valve springs. I have only heard good things about them. Beehive valve springs have been known in the industry as having a lower mass at the retainer end thus allowing for better valve control. Do you think this would be a good spring for flattus78 to use. I think its a good option. Any opinions on this?
The are nice for mild set ups, but it is more of a marketing ploy than anything. You have to use their retainers, locks etc...
I have seen some comparisons where the behives let the motors rev higher with less spring pressure. Supposed to be more harmonically stable.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
You still need to use the proper spring. Beehive is a style. They still have many different spring rates.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts