Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so about 3 weeks ago i was beating on my stang pretty hard and after i did a big burnout it started making a loud ticking noise from the top end.....i figured it was a loose rocker so i pulled the covers off and they're all tight....

i was running 10-40 castrol and near the 5000km mark before changing when this happened....my ricer buddy said i may have starves the top end for oil and messed up a lifter....any suggestions on what i should do?

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
Lifter tick... you should be running 5 or 10w-30. But I don't think that would cause lifter tick. Mine does it a little when its cold ever since my oil pump went out.

·
Registered
229 Posts
My answer to almost everything........SEAFOAM IT!:D Put it in the vacuum and in the oil.......go about 30 40 miles with the seafoam in your oil and change it out when you do run some Lucas oil treatment and you should be set.:yes

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
My answer to almost everything........SEAFOAM IT!:D Put it in the vacuum and in the oil.......go about 30 40 miles with the seafoam in your oil and change it out when you do run some Lucas oil treatment and you should be set.:yes
haha I went to a local napa auto part store and I tried the lucas oil demo where you turn the gears with regular oil and lucas oil and I could of sworn the regular oil felt better IDK I thought it was kinda funny

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
why the **** you running that oil?? and my car did the exact same after i raced my friend, i blew a hole in my header gasket

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
haha I went to a local napa auto part store and I tried the lucas oil demo where you turn the gears with regular oil and lucas oil and I could of sworn the regular oil felt better IDK I thought it was kinda funny
Speaking of that demo, someone took it a step further and got interesting results with the Lucas additive. Granted this is a single test and not inside an engine but still interesting how crappy the Lucas additive did.

What about Additives?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i know the difference between a header leak and a bad lifter. maybe changing the oil to thinner stuff and trying that? it ticks cold and hot....

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
whoa! sorry for lending advice dick, go run that ****ing thick ass oil some more since youre so smart

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
If its the test with the little plastic gears and you turn the handle, your not suppost to notice a difference in how it feels when cranking the handle your suppose to notice the way the oil carries through the plastic gears...

And my vote is for an exhaust leaks...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i was told by the guys at western performance that it was cool to run 10-40 since i beat on the car pretty hard. im quite sure it isnt an exhaust leak because it doesn't get progressively louder...like your exhaust does. and it doesn't get louder under load like an exhaust leak. it seems to be coming from the inside of the engine or so it seems. hence why i said i know the difference between an exhaust leak and a valvetrain noise...im just weighing my options because ive owned nothing chevs my whole life and i dont know EXACTLY how to set up a ford engine or diagnose a ford problem

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i just fired up the car with no valve covers and noticed the oil was black (and thick) and one pushrod doesn't seem to be supplying oil...if i didnt know any better id say thats either a bent pushrod or a bad lifter?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Speaking of that demo, someone took it a step further and got interesting results with the Lucas additive. Granted this is a single test and not inside an engine but still interesting how crappy the Lucas additive did.

What about Additives?
Thats crazy,...... my oil never turned into milk.:confused:
I can tell you from experience that Lucas quieted my valve train. If you try it you will love it.
IMO Lucas is worth its weight in gold

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
i just fired up the car with no valve covers and noticed the oil was black (and thick) and one pushrod doesn't seem to be supplying oil...if i didnt know any better id say thats either a bent pushrod or a bad lifter?
Well, the thick part is because you don't use the right oil and the black color is probably because you needed to change it a long time ago. Try changing your oil and see what happens. Start by changing small things. And about the exhaust leak... have you ever had one? I ask because I currently have a big header leak due to one of my flanges being warped off of the block and it does not get louder with rpms. And it does sound somewhat like lifter tick. Just throwin that out there. If I were you I would inspect your headers for any missing bolts or tears in the gaskets.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts