Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Beer Is Good
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father is about to buy a 2000 GT Vert. they guy he is getting it from bought it new, and has never treated the top. he says it leaks a bit if you hose it off with too much pressure, or if it rains really hard

is this something that you just have to accpet with a vert, or is something up with the car. it has 70,000 miles on it and has been garage kept. rest of the car seems ship shape...
i know with F body camaros and trans ams with T Tops, leaking is just part of it, but seems like a vert would seal up a bit better than that.

is there any kind of treatment we should look to do, or a seal to replace or what?

also, im not sure exactly where its leaking from...so that kinda complicates giving advice im sure, but i didnt know if this body style had any notorious leak points or what....

thanks champs!!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
It is something you need to accept with a 13 year-old convertible. Most likely one or more seams are leaking and it will not get any better over time--the real fix is to get a new top...

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
its something that happens with old tops, luckily mine only leaks a little at the very back so it only gets part of the trunk wet, but for 150 plus install you could get a new top.

·
Beer Is Good
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so its just the seams usually? a new top wouldnt be that bad...

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I have only seen the fabric leak a few times, and then only when it is worn or cracked to the extent that the damage is readily visible...

·
Banned
1,232 Posts
new tops are 200ish from AM, and a BITCH to install. spend the extra 500 and get it installed. Ive heard the tops from AM are a little small, everyone says they have to stretch it. Perhaps ford makes a better quality top at a higher price.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Mine leaks during hard rain into the well behind the rear seat. I just keep a cup in the back floor board and get it out. Maybe will get a new top eventually.....

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
No it is not something you should have to accept and nor should you. A top should not leak nor should the seals, There are seals that run along the windows in between the top and the windows if your leak is there its an easy fix with new seals. where is the leak? I have a 13 year old top and it does not leak a drop. Also there is a adjustment to tighten up the top where the top and the windshield meet, you can adjust the hooks to tighten up the top.

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
No it is not something you should have to accept and nor should you. A top should not leak nor should the seals, There are seals that run along the windows in between the top and the windows if your leak is there its an easy fix with new seals. where is the leak? I have a 13 year old top and it does not leak a drop. Also there is a adjustment to tighten up the top where the top and the windshield meet, you can adjust the hooks to tighten up the top.
I agree that you shouldn't have to just live with the leaks. However, the rear window on these tops is notorious for coming unsealed. Mine did - there was nothing I could do about it short of a new top, so I got a Cobra top. It's much nicer anyway.

If it's seals around the side windows, it's one thing, but if it's leaking right through the top, or coming in the back and soaking up the floor (and smelling) as mine was, then it might be time for a new top.

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
I agree that you shouldn't have to just live with the leaks. However, the rear window on these tops is notorious for coming unsealed. Mine did - there was nothing I could do about it short of a new top, so I got a Cobra top. It's much nicer anyway.

If it's seals around the side windows, it's one thing, but if it's leaking right through the top, or coming in the back and soaking up the floor (and smelling) as mine was, then it might be time for a new top.
Holy **** nilepp we finally agree on something lol.

·
super serious
6,254 Posts
I have a 2000 gt vert with 120k on the chasis, no leaking at all. The previous owner took good care of her. :)

·
Beer Is Good
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im really anxious to get my hands on the car to see exactly where its leaking from. with any luck, its just the scres needing to be tightened up for the windshield. the window seals dont worry me, since yall say its an easy fix. the back glass though...thats sounding like the main cause of replacing tops...but still, 1000 for a top doesnt sound too bad...but all i can think is thats a dang nice set of headers installed...or half of a new set of rims... but im not sure my father will think the same with his mustang. haha

·
super serious
6,254 Posts
im really anxious to get my hands on the car to see exactly where its leaking from. with any luck, its just the scres needing to be tightened up for the windshield. the window seals dont worry me, since yall say its an easy fix. the back glass though...thats sounding like the main cause of replacing tops...but still, 1000 for a top doesnt sound too bad...but all i can think is thats a dang nice set of headers installed...or half of a new set of rims... but im not sure my father will think the same with his mustang. haha
$1,000 for a top!? :eek:

·
Beer Is Good
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
$1,000 for a top!? :eek:
yeah...that seems to be the average cost im seeing...worst case anyway... thats for new top, new back glass, and new headliner. priced all of it together because i havent got to see what is damaged on it yet. wont see the car till christmas...but this is another reason i bought a hard top... love a vert, but too much trouble...

·
Beer Is Good
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got a price from a shop in Cleveland GA. They do great work. $500 for a top. $500 for a back glass. 900 for the whole thing. Or around $100 to just fix the leak and reseal it if its the back glass seal that failed.

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
Got a price from a shop in Cleveland GA. They do great work. $500 for a top. $500 for a back glass. 900 for the whole thing. Or around $100 to just fix the leak and reseal it if its the back glass seal that failed.
I got the full Cobra top for $600 on ebay - brand new. Look around for a deal for a bit.

I tried to install it myself, but discovered that it's a huge pita, so I took it to my buddy's shop and he had one of his guys put it in for $200 and a beer. My experience is guaranteed to be different than yours, but $1000 for the top alone seems crazy expensive.

·
Registered
235 Posts
When I got mine it leaked around the seals above the windows during a hard rain or wash. Tightened the hooks a turn and voila. No more leak.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts