Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, how's it going? I recently purchased an 01 GT (auto) with 4.10 gears, flowmasters, BBK cai, and an sct livewire. OK, so on to my question. When I accelerate to speeds exceeding 85, my car gets really unstable. It feels as if I could lose control very easily. There's a lot of noise and shaking. My steering wheel also feels loose (idk if this is related at all, may be normal?). I just had it inspected, got new tires (was doing it before the tires as well). I just don't know what it could be, but I'm sure some of you will have some idea. Thanks a lot guys.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Could be a number of things. Best bet is to get underneathe and check everything out, or have someone else do it.

Could be ball joints, tie rod ends, struts, etc....

·
Registered
224 Posts
i hit 125 plus consistently at the road course and mine is rock solid. you'd think you we're driving 55. i've replaced every bushing in the suspension, front and back, and steering with either urethane or aluminum and replaced all the remaining steering components that can wear. you didn't mention the mileage on the car, but if it's higher, that would be where i start.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I am with Don on this one. New bushings make the world of difference. Be safe out there if you continue to test the wobble out more. Danger danger.

·
Registered
72 Posts
alot of times when changing a gear the driveshaft can be out of balance. thats alot of the reason people use aluminum is to absorb shake.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
alot of times when changing a gear the driveshaft can be out of balance. thats alot of the reason people use aluminum is to absorb shake.
It doesn't "absorb shake"..... The lower rotating mass and more rigid material reduces the whip effect that the stock steel driveshaft can get at high driveline speeds, where the driveshaft will actually bow in the middle and cause vibrations no matter how well it's balanced.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, it has 127k... So I should definitely check out the bushings and other stuff. Though they should have checked that in the inspection? I guess they have low standards? Thanks guys

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I had the alignment done when I had it inspected, also had it done again earlier today when the tires were installed because they said it was off. So the alignment should be perfect.

·
2013 5.0 Deep Impact Blue
643 Posts
be very carefully,
a few years ago i had an alignment done. and the idiot working on it didn't tighten the jam nuts. so a week later... im doing 80MPH on the freeway. the front end started pulling to one side, really bad. so i get off freeway as im pulling into a parking lot to check it out.
the steering wheel didn't respond.

look underneath. the passenger 'tie rod' had come completely off the spindle, WTF,

really lucky it didn't happen on freeway. also lucky had my tool box and jack,

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, don't want that happening... I'll see if I can find anything questionable under the car. Thanks

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
was it ever in an accident??

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not as far as I know, and not according to the carfax. I'm having a local shop check it out on monday, as I can't see anything and I'm not very knowledgeable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts