Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Rent Asunder!
11,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to rant!

I have PTSD. It's severe enough that I jump at the sound of hammers, drills, any kind of banging really. I have night terrors, panic attacks, random bouts of anger, and major depressive episodes. I'm not on steady medication for it.

I have an open claim with the VA to seek help through Veterans disability but it's really backed up and taking several months at this point (and several more months to go) to get processed and adjudicated. Due to a recent traumatic event, my condition has gotten worse. This morning, I walked into my local Charlie Norwood VA medical center in Augusta, Ga. After spending 2 hours in there getting the run around, I was sent back out the door telling me there was nothing they could do for me without an adjudicated VA claim. I've missed 70+ days of work this year due to my issues, most of which attributed to major depressive episodes. I have trouble functioning with day-to-day activities. Yet, because I haven't been verified through the VA's extremely backed up system, I'm sent back out the door.

That VA claim is currently set to be finalized by June 2017 and will more than likely take longer. Sadly, it's a long process that involves more than just the PTSD. I also have 2 herniated discs in my back, locking knee, plantar fasciitis, and a list of other service-connected complications.

What do they expect me to do, suffer while they drag their feet? A ****ing illegal can jump the damn border and get healthcare tomorrow on the taxpayer's dime but I, an OEF veteran, gets sent out the ****ing door, my issues ignored, because of a backlog in paperwork. This country's priorities are extremely ****ed up but that's a whole different topic.

I didn't really make this post seeking help, mostly just to vent to an (mostly) unbiased audience, but if anyone has any advice on how to deal with the VA, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm at a loss on what to do. I have private insurance through my employer, but the waiting list in the private sector is still months out as well. I'm not suicidal and not a danger to myself or others, therefore I'm thrown on the back burner.

·
RIP Dennis
76,434 Posts
I can tell ya that I stayed on them hard about my claim and it still took 7 months. The hospitals cant do anything. Keep calling the VA over and over and over.

One major question though. Do you have a family history of bipolar disorder? With my claim thats what took the longest was determining to what extent PTSD had in my case. I am at 80% myself.

·
Rent Asunder!
11,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can tell ya that I stayed on them hard about my claim and it still took 7 months. The hospitals cant do anything. Keep calling the VA over and over and over.

One major question though. Do you have a family history of bipolar disorder? With my claim thats what took the longest was determining to what extent PTSD had in my case. I am at 80% myself.
My mother has been diagnosed with GAD, and she's been on Xanax for about 14 years now. My grandmother (mother's mother) was on anti-depressants for years and ended up dying of an overdose. My brother was diagnosed 4 years ago with major depressive disorder and has been on several medications since then.

My PCM has prescribed me Klonopin to take as needed but is hesitant to give me anything for the PTSD since he'd rather leave that to a psychiatrist. I fully understand and respect that from him.

My full list on the VA claim...

PTSD
Major depressive disorder
General anxiety disorder
Herniated disc - lumbar L1/L2
Herniated disc - lumbar L5/S1 > had surgery on these back in May, still recovering
Locking knee - right knee
Cartlidge deterioration - right knee
Plantar fasciitis - both feet
Sciatia - back, butt, right leg
Hypopituitaryism
Hypogonadism - requires weekly injections for the rest of my life
Testicular atrophy

I'm just all kinds of ****ed up. lol

·
Made in U.S.A.
22,435 Posts
Damn man, I really hate hearing this... It literally hurts me to hear it, hits way too close to home. Probably to a lot of people here, sadly. Chris said it best, only thing you can do is keep calling.

·
RIP Dennis
76,434 Posts
My mother has been diagnosed with GAD, and she's been on Xanax for about 14 years now. My grandmother (mother's mother) was on anti-depressants for years and ended up dying of an overdose. My brother was diagnosed 4 years ago with major depressive disorder and has been on several medications since then.

My PCM has prescribed me Klonopin to take as needed but is hesitant to give me anything for the PTSD since he'd rather leave that to a psychiatrist. I fully understand and respect that from him.

My full list on the VA claim...

PTSD
General anxiety disorder
Herniated disc - lumbar L1/L2
Herniated disc - lumbar L5/S1 > both of these need surgery
Locking knee - right knee
Cartlidge deterioration - right knee
Plantar fasciitis - both feet
Sciatia - back, butt, right leg
Hypopituitaryism
Hypogonadism - requires weekly injections for the rest of my life
Testicular atrophy

I'm just all kinds of ****ed up. lol
PTSD
General anxiety disorder

Those 3 right there can all fall under PTSD or a hereditary ailment like bipolar disorder or other major depressive disorders. If they find it as a service related PTSD then they will lump it all under that as it all falls under conditions of PTSD.

How many times have you see the VA rep? Have you been diagnosed with PTSD by a therapist/psychiatrist? When I put in my claim I walked in with a stack of documents from my therapist and psychiatrist and said this is what I have. It took one VA doctors appt and they covered everything.

The VA works only as fast as you push and force them. I called daily and made sure to stay up to date on all appointments and etc.

While you were in the service did you have any officially documented inflammation or ailments of any of the physical issues?

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
It really pisses me off that the VA isn't there for our service members when they get out of the war zone.

Best of luck to you man, I wish I had advice for you, but I don't.

·
Rent Asunder!
11,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PTSD
General anxiety disorder

Those 3 right there can all fall under PTSD or a hereditary ailment like bipolar disorder or other major depressive disorders. If they find it as a service related PTSD then they will lump it all under that as it all falls under conditions of PTSD.

How many times have you see the VA rep? Have you been diagnosed with PTSD by a therapist/psychiatrist? When I put in my claim I walked in with a stack of documents from my therapist and psychiatrist and said this is what I have. It took one VA doctors appt and they covered everything.

The VA works only as fast as you push and force them. I called daily and made sure to stay up to date on all appointments and etc.

While you were in the service did you have any officially documented inflammation or ailments of any of the physical issues?
Yes. I have full documentation of the events that caused my issues in the Army. Back then, they treated the back and knee with physical therapy rather than surgery. Over the years, it has gotten much worse leading to the fasciitis and sciatia. I have documentation of every physical therapy visit at Walter Reed and the other various clinics. I have documentation of every blood test, every sick call, everything. I also have documentation of every doctor visit since I got out of service in 2011.

The real stretch is going to be the hypogonadism. I had issues starting a couple years after I joined the Army where I suddenly became very fatigued, was losing muscle mass, and put on a lot of fat. By a lot of fat, I'm talking 60lbs in 4 months. No changes to eating habits or PT. I had to make drastic changes just to prevent it from getting worse, and I was still fighting it up until this year when I finally got a diagnosis of hypogonadism. My testosterone test came back with a total score of 176. Normal range for a 27-28 year old male is 500-900 range. My lithinaizing hormone (the hormone that tells your nuts to produce testosterone) was also very low. They did further digging and found a benign growth about the size of a lima bean on the bottom of my brain. It's still there. Surgery would be too much of a risk to try and remove it. I'm having to replace the hormones with weekly injections of testosterone and vitamin D.

Now, the reason I say it's a stretch is because while I was in the Army, I had my testosterone checked and they said it was normal. After getting this diagnosis earlier this year, I went back through my medical records from 2009 and found where it said my testosterone was a 258 out of a range of 255-1100. Yeah... it's in the range so it's "normal." Kinda bullshit. I don't know if they'll service-connect that or not.

Regardless, my main concern right now is my mental health.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Not a veteran here, but this really pisses me off. Send young men and women off to do a politicians bidding and end up getting screwed for it. Thats federal government for ya.

Good luck brother. Any chance you can do this on your own? Before it ruins your life? By that i mean get help.

I got into a fight arresting a parolee some months back and ended up slamming my knee on gravel. My knee didnt feel right. After about two weeks i needed to be seen. Luckily it was a deep bone bruise and nothing worse. Frustrates me to no end that you have to wait for necessary treatment like that.

·
RIP Dennis
76,434 Posts
Bryce bro you have to take it into your own hands and seek treatment yourself and then turn that info into the VA rep handling your case. Its what I had to do as well.

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
Man sorry to hear about your issues with them. Just like others have said just stay on top of them and of course make sure you have copies of everything you have turned in. Good luck with it all!!

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
:(

I do not have any advice on how to deal with the VA. I can somewhat sympathize with the need for services for those who really need them as I have a friend that has severe PTSD. I've had to learn how to communicate differently in order to communicate effectively or really at all with him. I never really knew anything about PTSD until he came back from the sandbox a different person. Wow, PTSD is a REAL thing. I hope some help comes your way soon OP.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts