Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
obviously corvettes are more of a "sport" car and mustang are "muscle" cars, but what the hell makes them grip so good????

i rode in a 2003 vette with borla exhaust, Hypertech programmer and stock other than that. i couldnt believe how well it gripped. does IRS really make that big of a difference in traction? i cant imagine the Terminator gripping as well as a vette does and it has IRS.

What can i do to get close to this level, or is it not gonna happen?

Here is my suspension set up:

Front (installed)- Cobra C-arms, eibach springs, Tokico struts
(ordered today)- MM CC plates, full length sub frame connectors, MM strut brace.

Rear (installed)- Tokico shocks, eibach springs
(ordered today) MM rear grip kit includes MM non adjustable C-arms, and a panhard bar

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
your comparing oranges to apples here. and the terminators do hook up just as well as the corvette. i can tell you right now if your are trying to "hook up" then your gonna need to ditch the road racing suspension setup. call Team Z or Racecraft. and start reading.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
What are you referring to exactly? handling or traction from a dig?
If your referring to handling on a road course give it up unless you have untold amounts of money and don't expect the car to have anything resembling a mustang except the shell when finished.

If your referring to traction from a dig then you need to look around, there are plenty of cobras with traction. Most all have swapped from the weak irs to solid axle to do so though.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i am looking for decent handling in corners, and grip from a dig....i dont take the car to track that often so i didnt want to go with a launch kit or anything...just an all around, good grip and good cornering car.

i just know that right now, with good, wide ass tires, my grip from 20mph and under is doodoo...i have to launch at about 1800-2000 rpm to not spin and i usually end up breaking them loose once i get up to about 10mph again anyway.

how do my current and ordered parts look? anything else i need to add.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
why do people always want to have their cake and eat it too. and not listen when people answer their questions. alot of ignorant sob's in the world today.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
why do people always want to have their cake and eat it too. and not listen when people answer their questions. alot of ignorant sob's in the world today.
WTF??? dont be a dick dude!

Are you saying that it is impossible to have a setup that provides good grip off the line and cornering ability???

if you read my post correctly, i am looking for something that is good(not track or strip worthy) in both areas, advice on what i have currently, and other improvements i can make. not asshole responses.

everyone on the forum is here because they love mustangs, they want to interact with people who share their same passion, and for help and advice on thier project.

if your going to participate and give "advice", read the post before you reply, and dont be such a dick...people will appreciate you much more.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
why do people always want to have their cake and eat it too. .
you know damn well if i get cake i am gonna want to eat it.

i feel bad for the mofo who puts cake in front of me and says NO! you cant eat it.:mad:

i just had to say that....

carry on.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
well what do you want, street, or strip

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
a little of both..anything is better than the stock configuration...again, i am not looking to compete at the track or the strip...it is a weekend toy for me. i want soemthing that will give me decent grip out of the hole, and something that will give me better cornering ability than stock. an all around package....i think i have most of the parts to facilitate this, and will install this weekend...just asking for imput on what i have, and input on anything else i should add

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
so your saying you have a pile of parts and your trying to decide what ones to put on?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Here's the issue every1 is trying to portray, u cannot have the best of both worlds. There will be compramises.
A stiff suspension for corner carving will not be "best suitable" for drag racing. What I feel you want is a median. This my friend is hard to find.
And while I'm at it ill tell u one thing going to either of the extremes whether full wolfe suspension(drag style) or griggs/ mm(corner carving) will result in you being unhappy. 1 is too stiff n the other is too lose for fast turns.

I say keep it simple get a coil over set up, some lcas, slap some serious meat on the back n be happy.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
ok let me throw my two cents in, im building more of a road racing 89 fox than a drag car...heres why driving in a straight line is EASY taking corners is hard... the foxes have weak ares such as: chassis,suspension,brakes sooo for "hooking" MT/Hoosier/BFG wide sticky drag radials/street radials or cheater slicks like me (pic above) MT street Slicks Hook great, (if u want more hooks take lots of air out of tires, making them wider and softer) but for cornering u deff want to stiffen up chassis as much as possible. subframe connectors,front/rear strut shock braces, then 4 suspension MM CC plates, good shocks/struts/springs controls arms are amazing too for both.

i just put tokico illumina shocks in rear 5 way gas adjustable and the rear is SUPER stiff with eibach sportsline springs ( i love it) cant wait to put front tokico illumina struts in and im putting the stock sway bar back in, it doesnt take much with these foxes weather u want to build for drag or road racing,

and a panhard bar is a must for cornering as well it eliminates lateral movement of the rear end (side to side movement)

·
Atomized
1,397 Posts
I'm down to race that vet from a dig... you must be doing it wrong.... try a dig in my 430 hp srt 4 ha ha now that **** sucks.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
why dont you set it up for corner carving? i mean just because its setup for corner carving doesnt mean it will be SLOW in the 1/4. just means it isnt ideal for drag but seriously who cares?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
"Wide tires" is vague. With a race compound autocross tire, you will corner better. With the same tire you will have better straight line traction also. As in leaving a corner.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts