Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so some of you know that I recently installed a new pro motion trans. Than I developed a serious vibration. It was my HB. I have since noticed a vibration in the shifter and seat of my pants. It is mainly under power or higher speed. Push in the clutch and it goes away. So it's not my DS. It's a tight vibration and can't tell if it speeds up or down w/ RPM. I just notice it when I am WOT or in fifth at 80 mph not at 75 but it starts at 80. Any sugg.? Clutch?

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Have you checked your driveshaft->diff bolts?

I had a death-rattle that would come on around 55, turned out 3 of mine were loose and one was missing :eek:

Replaced the lost one and tightened everything up, all was happy.

Even if that's not it, I'd get under the car and check for anything lose in the drivetrain.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so you think maybe just something loose? I used red loctite on the DS bolts. Definitely check them though.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
did you grease up the throw out bearing? If it goes away when the clutch is pressed in, then you have pin pointed the problem, its either the clutch, throw out, or something in your trans possibly.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just drove it tonight and noticed that it doesn't seem to do it in 1-3. starts in 4 and gets worse in 5th and mainly w/ more speed. It's like chasing a mouse.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So i checked the DS bolts, trans bolts, trans cm bolts, etc. and all are tight. Could my CM bushing be bad? I did not replace it when I did the trans. Also I noticed a little wiggle in my u-joint near the rear. I held the rear diff plate that the bolts go into and tried moving the DS and it wiggled. Any help would be nice b/f i start buying parts to chase a prob.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i doubt your flywheel has any warpage, did you get it turned or buy a new one when you put the new trans in? also, the rear gears may have a chipped tooth or differential fluid is low...other than that, I have no idea.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine does the same above 70 in 4th and 5th. But I think its the cross member bushing. And worn motor mounts don't help. Didnt start till after I remounted my trans from changing my flywheel and clutch.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
check your universal joints mine did the exact same thing. the universal joints were shot. Especially if your driveshaft has play in it like your describing.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no to the flex plates. It didn't do it right after the new trans. More like after a few power shifts.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
I would check the balancer and also pull the rear dif cover and look for any cracks. I've blown a factory trac lock before where it wasn't fully blown. It was cracked from one side to the other and made a bunch of vibs from idle to 4500rpms

just some ideas, update when you do find the issue i'd like to know

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
i believe he just put a new HB on the car

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I finally got around to checking the u-joint's and guess what, that was the problem. One of the rear dust covers failed and ALL the bearings were gone! So I replaced them and will test drive on Wed. Just thought I would let you guys know.

·
Free Mouth Hugs
9,037 Posts
Good stuff man glad it worked out to be pretty easy for you.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Holy crap! what a difference. Finally drove it today and I guess it's been bad for a while, cuz it has never drove this smooth. Wish I had known sooner.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts