Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my '89 LX 5.0, the car vibrares a lot, but after about 1.5 on the tach, it gets better. Sounds like a harmonic balancer or motor mounts, right? How much would the average mechanic charge for either?

·
The Razor's Edge
4,396 Posts
if you have a cherry picker the motor mounts could be easy.....im not to sure but if i had to guess the harmonic balencer would be bad at higher rpms too....

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
u will most likely need an impact gun for the balencer and also a puller but i dont see how a balencer could go bad... the motormount sounds more realilistic.. u could just un bolt it and use a peice of wood on a jack to lift the engine a little..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
u will most likely need an impact gun for the balencer and also a puller but i dont see how a balencer could go bad... the motormount sounds more realilistic.. u could just un bolt it and use a peice of wood on a jack to lift the engine a little..
Well, I won't be doing any of this stuff myself. I do little things to the car. Lifting an engine I wouldn't attempt with my current skills, and lack of tools and a heated gaage. I'll be taking it to a mechanic. What I want to know is how much is the average job to do this?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Well, I won't be doing any of this stuff myself. I do little things to the car. Lifting an engine I wouldn't attempt with my current skills, and lack of tools and a heated gaage. I'll be taking it to a mechanic. What I want to know is how much is the average job to do this?
Caution..long post.

I assume each job is probably listed at about 1.5-2 hours. I don't know the going rates but I assume probably at least $80-100/hr plus parts and shop fees. The parts have a huge markup and you get general replacement no name parts. Call a few shops and find out. Both are straight forward replacements so the cheapest one would be fine.

Another option
I would find a Mustang specific or small locally owned performance garage in your area. They usually encourage or at least allow you to bring your own parts and have really good labor rates because they are efficient.
This is labor only though and do not expect any sympathy from them if you bring in a harmonic balancer and they replace it and your vibration is still there.

·
Registered
685 Posts
you can remove the balancer with a puller and a breaker bar thats how I did mine

·
Registered
90 Posts
i did my motor mounts my self and it took about 1 1/2 hours lol but it was my first time and make sure if you do them you have a big enough bar to break them loose a impact gun wont hah i used a cheery picker to lift the motor your only liftin it a few inchs not much at all

·
Registered
334 Posts
Shops around here run 60-85hr for labor. I think stock mounts are around 20-30. I would guess around 150-180 for a shop to replace your mounts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts