Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know if this is the right section, but here it is:

I got some rims put on my car a few months back. 18x9/18x10. Cant say tire size atm, dont remember. However, ever since i got them I have had some major wobling in my sterring wheel, and vibrations in the whole car. It also pulls to the right sometimes. It seems to be worse when cold, but not positive on that one.

After I got the rims I got a front end alingment at the local shop. It helped, but its still there. Would there be a reason to get a front and rear end alignment? Or could this be something worse/different?

I want to get this fixed because I plan on doin some supension upgrades half way through this year.

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
Describe the vibrations better..... is it something you feel while in the throttle, off the throttle, coasting, certain speed, etc....... only when braking?

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would have to say mostly while on the throttle. It just seems like something is making my steering wheel shake, and causing me to work harder to keep the car going straight.

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
rotate the tires front to back and inspect them for lumps or divots.... it may be a busted belt. Its hard to tell without actually riding in the car.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im fairly sure its not the Tires. After driving some today its when coasting, and worse the higher the speed.

Would it help to get the rear end aligment or is it really needed? Like I said, I got a front end and it helped... some.

Busted belt? What belt?

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
belts in the tires..... now that you say the vibration is like that make sure the driveshaft is tight as well

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
I know it's kinda old ... if the problem hasnt been fixed have the shop check to see if your rim(s) aren't bent. I got in a wreck on my old set of rims and one of them was bent. The guy at my local firestone showed me on the rotation machine the obvious uneven spin of the bent rim. That rim was put on the back and lessened the problem. But at highway speeds the vibration was more than annoying. Hope this helps anyone with this same problem... somethin to check out since you had just got the rims...

·
Registered
975 Posts
to the op. Did you use stick on weights? When doing so they balance the tire different because they can't put weights on the inside and outside of the wheel. Thus resulting in a less then perfect balance. So that causes a little more vibration than normal but not as much as you describe.

I would get under the car and make sure some of the weights haven't come off. You might want to swap out your stock wheels and tires and take it around the block. If its still there then its your car. If it not, then its your wheels. Next take the car to the local tire shop and have the wheels checked for run-out. Run-out is basically how much the wheel can be off( bent) from the factory. If you find a bad one have the company replace it. If they are good have the wheels and tires swapped. Puts the left on the right and have them reballanced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts