Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
booooost'd
7,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know vids aren't tech, but the question about it is... This is my last run o the night before I broke. Does my clutch look like it's smoking? Will linelocks help my drivetrain, or is this just a part of racing(new clutch every 60k?)

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
that vid is way too dark to see anything... thought you were street racing till the time light

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Juco, 60k on a clutch in a performance car is a long time. My honest expectation of a clutch in my car is 15k and 20k if I'm lucky. I'm being completely honest and reasonable to what I put the car through.

That movie is way to dark to see clutch smoke. However, you may be able to answer your own question. Did you smell a different odor than normal tire smoke odor when you did that burnout. To me it looked like the tires rolled over fine, but again it's dark.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Juco, as the others said the video is too dark.

You will know the second your clutch is smoking. To add to what Emay said, the smell will be far different from tire smoke.

A burning, or slipping, clutch will smell exactly as if you have a caliper stuck on your brakes.... just like burning brakes. Ever been behind a tractor trailer, and smelled brakes? It's the same smell.

A linelock will not help.... and not that it necessarily hurts. But it's part of racing. Just by virtue of doing a burnout, and racing, you're increasing the chance that ****'s gonna break. It's part of the deal. I know you know this, just sayin'.

I suppose one could say a linelock will help if you are not adept at performing burnouts with a manual car. If you were somehow smoking your brakes, or not getting it done right, then yes, perhaps a linelock would assist in your concentration on getting the burnout done, so yes, I guess you could say that would be beneficial.

As Erin said, the normal lifespan of a clutch is dramatically reduced. By a couple of things:

-Higher horsepower levels
-Burnouts
-Racing

A clutch, even the correct one for your application, just isn't going to last for 80,000 miles like it would in a normal DD car. Not when you're beating on it.

All part of the game brother.

·
August 08 ROTM
865 Posts
Race it
Break it
Fix it
Repeat
:D

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
I do not break......

I thermonuclear destroy everything i possibly can with the largest amount of colateral damage as possible to ensure maximum expendeture from said wallet

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
I don't break either.... my car takes care of that for me... only 200 balls to the wall passes this summer plus all the street action I saw.... what a piece of crap... J/K but I have been breaking this car ever since I got it.. and I love it... third clutch and 25k miles

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
all i have to say is...... DAMN!
You guys must race a hell of a lot more than i do or did for that matter.
Although at times it seems like the clutch delays engagement, i have never burned a clutch up but i have a friend which happens to be burnin's fiance that was burning my clutch last winter when he was visiting.
Like i said glad im not in that boat quite yet.

·
Registered
623 Posts
If your clutch was smoking, you would know it. First thing that would come to you was the smell of a slipping clutch, it's a nasty odor. Next the rpms would be going up but you wouldn't really be accelerating that hard. I believe your ETs are going to drop. I'll give you an example: I was running a Procharged Mustang a few years back and the clutch just started slipping at the track, I could smell it but daily driving wasn't really affected. I went back to the track with a new Centerforce and my ET dropped .50 now I'm not going to say that your ET will drop a half a sec. but I'll bet your going to be well in the 12s.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I race every weekend usually friday and saturday. I go through 2 clutches a year. This is why I am going to a TH350 this winter.

·
Registered
509 Posts
15000 out my clutch..spec holding up good its been almost 25000 miles, but i have slowed down on the beating alot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts