Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone ever had anything wrapped in vinyl? i'm thinking of doing my hood in a 'mystery' graphic. pics maybe?

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
The only thing I have wrapped exterior wise in vinyl is the a pillars on my car. I have done a bunch of interiors and stereo equipment though. Blacked them out. Vinyl wrapping on a hood is going to a bitch. First, trying to find vinyl wide enough. Second, all the curves on the hood maked things difficult. The best bet is finding a sign shop and seeing what they would charge.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
There's been a few articles in magazines lately that are suggesting people get vinyl wraps for their cars instead of custom paint. I think there was ans197 mustang in the new Hot Rod that had it's doors wrapped in vinyl. The member 'Mickey' (I think) made his s197 into a baracade clone from the first Transformers using vinyl wraps on his doors.

Vinyl wrap is a lot cheaper than custom paint, but I don't think a sign shop is going to be the best route. I could be mistaken but there are people that specifically deal with vinyl car wraps. Give me a while and I'll see if I can find something like that.

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
The reason I said sign shop is that a lot of them deal in vinyl wraps for local public safety. My firends shop vinyls all the police cars around the area.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good info. there are a few places by me that do specifically vinyl wraps. just curious if anyone on these forums has tried it. i've seen them do entire cars so wrapping the hood should be no problem i would think.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i like the vinyl, it was a good way to see if my roof looked good before i decided if i would paint...
the roof is vinyl, looks like it is painted.. i like it alot

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
good info. there are a few places by me that do specifically vinyl wraps. just curious if anyone on these forums has tried it. i've seen them do entire cars so wrapping the hood should be no problem i would think.
vinyl wrap is a little different material and your design is printed on the vinly. then a thin clear vinly is layed on top if wanted for shine hi gloss. and cut to hood shape fender roof ect....
it is applied a little different and contours better on compound angles. most nascar's today are wraped.the average vinly guy doesnt do wraps, equipment is very expensive. if done wright it looks like paint

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks i'm debating on either doing a full vinyl for the hood with the graphic in it. Or i also have individual decals where i could layer each of them down then spray the car and remove the decals to leave the image...

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
The reason I said sign shop is that a lot of them deal in vinyl wraps for local public safety. My firends shop vinyls all the police cars around the area.
Oh, I didn't mean that a vinly shop would not be able to do it. I'd just be more comfortable having a shop that specifically deals with vinly car wraps do it. There's no place like that around me though, so if I ever decided to do something like this I'd be hitting up the sign shops too :yes

thanks i'm debating on either doing a full vinyl for the hood with the graphic in it. Or i also have individual decals where i could layer each of them down then spray the car and remove the decals to leave the image...
Personally I'd go with the vinly wrap. If you decide you don't like it in a year, you can peel it off. If you had it painted, you're going to have to re-spray the hood. Sounds like you've got a pretty custom design planned, so I would say vinyl is the way to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts