Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
im a fan of tunable induction. but ive never seen a cai for our cars with a fully enclosed air box like that. it might be sweet!

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
volants are nice because they have that fully closed box, ive seen quite a few on trucks but never on stangs, 40 ft pounds of torque is b.s. on a v6, i say either volant or K&N i dont like the ebay intakes, if they made one id tell you to get a JLT for the v6

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
the termi doesnt count as an example. Ford had to make the airbox/exhaust very restrictive.....of course the car is gonna get huge gains. It like going from running full speed breathing through 1 nostril to be able to breathe out of your mouth.

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
volant makes a nice product but dont expect over 3 hp

·
Registered
154 Posts
$230.95! and I thought paying $180 for my BBK intake was to much

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am very well aware that 40 ft lbs is ridiculous, I think those are over rated stats for large truck engines, and is just a genaric description used on all kits. That is typically the application volant makes cai for (truck engines). I dont like the cai off ebay and they are very hard to come by now a days. Unless you have a 05-08 v6. I like volant but the only problem I have with it is, on the volant web site and on all the sellers web sites i have found there is only one kit for 96-02. As most of you know the intakes change between my model 96-98 and 99-02. Also the vacuum line and the iat are at different locations on the 96-98 and 99-02. It can be made to work but there is only one part number on all the sites, no separate part numbers for 96-98 and 99-02. They seem like a very reputable company but im wary of purchasing it and then find out they meant to put 99-02. Hopefully the kit has a separate elbow for the 96-98 model that extends the intake tube to reach the 96-98 throttle body. All the pictured intakes on the site I linked to are for 99-02 applications.

So basically I don't know if I should buy it or not. I know its only like 3hp but I would rather pay the money and have a kit that I like the looks of than have a generic shiny metal intake like everyone else.

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
get some black plastic piping (not PVC), a Filter, a drill and a case of beer and make your own all a CAI is, is a pipe and a filter

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
whats wrong with using dryer hose? thats the best thing to use if the air scoop is goona be in an unused foglamp hole or in that area....

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
whats wrong with using dryer hose? thats the best thing to use if the air scoop is goona be in an unused foglamp hole or in that area....
i don't like dryer hoes becauce of the rigeing in it, it creats a lot more turbulence then i would like. also for the scoop going down to a fog lamp or gril, i personaly would use solid ducting material and weld it up. again less because it has less turbulence

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
i dont like the idea of something that attaches to a dryer being attached to my engine
your dryer spits out more exhaust than you can intakes air ;), but a smooth piping is better

·
Shake N' Bake
5,698 Posts
i wouldnt spend that much on it, you could get a different mod for that much money that would actually make a difference...now if the CAI was a reliable source of HP itd be a different story, but only seeing gains of a few HP on the v6, really all you are buyin there is the name and appearence and IMO ultimately a waste of money...ebay FTW...but its up to you bro

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
i don't like dryer hoes becauce of the rigeing in it, it creats a lot more turbulence then i would like. also for the scoop going down to a fog lamp or gril, i personaly would use solid ducting material and weld it up. again less because it has less turbulence
Then just a 5' smooth duct that dryers also use depending how it needs to leave the house.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts