Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey stangers does anyone have the specs on how to fab up the dohc volvo head on to a 2.3 block? or if there is a later post on it could u redirect me? is it even worth it? to much work?
THanks alot

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The B234F Volvo head is decent for a stock 16V head. The one I tested a few years ago, flowed close to 210 CFM @ 28” with the intake valves pushed close to the point of coil bind @ .445” valve lift. I’m not sure if I’d run the stock length valves for this reason. Port velocities were in the 300ish range at this lift. In contrast, my Esslinger street head managed flow numbers of 198 CFM at the same lift and velocity @ 325 fps. So much for the velocity being higher on a 16V head, but not everything needs to make sense; it just has to work, right?

Things take a more drastic turn when you open the valves a little further on both heads. Above .450” of valve lift, the Essy head starts to come to life. At .550” lift my head flows 232 CFM and seems to hold the port velocity above 300, while the Volvo takes a dive. This makes sense to me, since the Volvo head was optimized for the lower lift and pushing the valve open more, has less and less of an effect on flow after it crests .450” lift. You could port it and put some larger valves and seats in it, but if you are going to go to all that trouble, you should start searching the used racing car adds for something purpose built for racing, since hybrid engines are probably outside most if not all racing classes.

I absolutely love my Esslinger head. It won’t do much for a bone stock engine, but the name of this site is called Modded Mustangs, which kind of suggests that the forums are geared towards modifying engines. if one were to spend the $1400-1800 required to get the Essligner or do the complete Volvo head swap (realistically about the same cost) I would assume that said person would probably modify quite a few other parts as well.

I could have done the Volvo head swap on my car with ease. I have my own machining and welding equipment and plenty of parts sources. I went with the Esslinger head because ultimately, it is a purpose built racing part, with a significant amount testing and racing data behind it and scores of championship wins in various racing circles.

Guess what? It bolted right atop of the engine without modifying a single thing :dunnoand I can buy dozens of ready made camshaft grinds which are available for it right now! Today! Ultimately it will out flow the Volvo head, so I’m left with the question of why one might want to punish themselves by performing this swap?

Other than that, I think it is a good idea. Here's the link to the info you asked for:
http://www.merkurtech.com/merkurtech/techarticles/item045.php

Esslinger head:So nice!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I’m left with the question of why one might want to punish themselves by performing this swap?

other than the cool factor ,it seems like alot of work for nothing, but they do look cool! and the yellow stang, looks like a thunderbird to me ( I know its a fox body with a sn-95 roof but it looks like a thunderbird? anybody else??)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Stick with the essy. The volvo swap is far too much work, for what OHC describes as not much of a benefit... Buy a cam, lopy idle. Good investment all day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts