Modded Mustang Forums banner

vortech aftercooler?

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Bullitt5566 
#1 ·
So on the corral i seen some going for 300$ shipped so i was kicking around the idea of picking one up, I know a air to air are better then the vortech ones also. Anyone use them with any luck or are they just trash? Part of the reason im leaning to one also is because of cost, and i can still get a free retune.

#2 ·
for 300 I would do it. Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me at all. I honestly considered it before I got all my intercooler stuff. I'd say go for it. Still better then having those crazy high intake temps with running straight to the intake from the blower.

#4 ·
They're good for the track, but on the street it will heat soak fast.

#5 ·
That would be a pain on the street, it does have a cobra heat exchanger with it and a upgraded pump but doubt that can help all that much for the street, im thinking maby i could still use my meth with it to help with heat soak? i think i could sell it for what i bought it for also once i get the money for a BOV new MAF and I/C pipes to go Air to air.

#6 ·
You can get a killerchiller which will really help drop iats, but I believe your A/C has to be on for it to work. Nitmare67 had this setup. Terminator Kit

Why are you looking at another form of cooling if you already have meth? Fyi, most likely heading to RSD this Friday night if you want to come up.

#8 ·
If i do not work i am down to go, I took the car to the track and ran a best of 12.88 with 1.76 60ft on my first outing (was hot and muggy/ i need seat time) so I’m hoping to lower my et some more. And the meth works great but i have had a few minor problems with it, minor leaks, puddleing of meth ect. With my small nozzle it does not cool fast enough with the next size up its too much meth. So i was thinking of using the meth pre blower to cool the blower with the after cooler also

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

I have this setup and ran 100% coolant in normal street driving it heat soaks but it still drops iat by at least 10 deg. so for $300 it is worth it I've seen them go for 5 on ebay I got mine for $185 so I had to give it a shot hope this help
thanks for the input, what are your IAT at around? also if i could find a used killer chiller i think it would be worth it, I did go ahead and buy the aftercooler, I have a free ebay listing so i will post it up for sale for 500$ and if it does not sell i will just install it

#9 ·
I run an Aftercooler with 15# of boost. During daily driving I don't think there is a bit of difference between an Aftercooler and a FMIC, especially if you upgrade the coolant tank and heat exchanger. The Aftercooler has a couple things going for it. First, you can stuff the tank with ice at the track. I have the IC pump wired to a switch so I can turn it off in the staging lanes until I need it. Second, the intake path is significantly shorter leading to better throttle response and less boost loss. Last, IMO it cools better for short boost bursts. The FMIC also has a few benefits, You can run a blow through MAF which makes tuning easier. Also, the FMIC can handle more boost and as others have said doesn't get heat soaked during long boost periods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.