Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question around plug gap for centri blown cars, around 8 psi.

What plug gap do you run? I just picked up a set of MSD blaster coils, so I'm going to be pulling my COPS anyway. The plugs are relatively new (NGK's, one level colder than factory); so I'll likely just clean them up and reinstall.

I understand the upgraded coils can jump a slightly bigger gap; thoughts?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Mine are gapped at .034ish...NGK TR6.

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
Micropaladin did a test and found the stock COPs to be superior to all aftermarket coils. With that said I would assume the gap to be the same but others have given first hand experience.

Just wanted to throw that in so you have some background info on the blasters.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I understand the upgraded coils can jump a slightly bigger gap; thoughts?
Actually, no. The best COPs for our cars are stock. Cliff Knight, an engineer and former MM member, conducted tests of various COPs. His tests showed that the maximum gap an Accel COP could jump was 15.6 mm. The stock COPs max was 17.1 mm. The stock COPs also have a 10% higher kV output. He tested the other brands as well. He writes, "The stock COPs are universally held as being superior to aftermarket units, and my own testing of COPs donated to my project supports that position. I found no aftermarket COP that surpassed the stock units in either energy output or durability, in fact a number of the aftermarket COPs were less durable:" Here are his findings:
CIKBlog : Mustangs

I gap my NGK TR6 at .032. I have read that a few others have gone down to .028. I ran my first set of TR6s 80,000 miles. I took them out simply because of mileage and couldn't see anything thing wrong with them. The gap on several were still within tolerances. I could have re-gapped them and put them back in. But NGK TR6s are cheap. I've run my second set 46,000 miles. I'm not even going to worry about them for a few more years.

P.S. Cliff Knight runs the PaladinMicro site. If you don't have that bookmarked as a reference you should. It contains tons of useful information.
http://www.paladinmicro.com/pmicro.php#

Reactions: GBPackerFan

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
. 032. Have ran 9-13psi with no issue.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
.032" with a blower @9 psi NGK tr6 plugs

never had any issues, plugs looked gorgeous when I took them out 2 years later.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone!

Thanks for all the info everyone! I picked up the coils way cheaper than I could have picked up a set of stock ones, so even though they may not be as good; I guess I'll give them a go.

I have an occasional hiccup at idle; not enough to throw a light; just somewhat noticeable to me. Could be spark or could be fuel ... sending the injectors out to be cleaned as well. I want to make sure I'm getting the most out of my combustion.

---------- Post added at 07:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 AM ----------

Thanks for the resources! I just bookmarked, absolutely fantastic!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts