Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it has come to my attention that i should probably have my vortech V-2 rebuilt wile i have time during the winter months here in Illinois. vortech is closed for the holidays otherwise i would call so i did a quick search on this site and couldn't find much or at least anything current, prices always fluctuate and i need a little more technical info as well.

basically the blower needs to be rebuilt, so i figured wile its out i might as well do the SI trim upgrade, i need a little more feedback on the upgrade , i know its an impeller/volute upgrade thats flows a little more cfm and supposendly makes boost a little bit sooner down low but i heard that some units cannot be upgraded for reasons unknown

as far as i know my unit is a V-2 (doesnt say if its an sq on the tag nor does it say the trim)

any info regarding current prices, rebuild process,and SI upgrade will be greatly apppreciated. if it turns out that i cannot upgrade the unit then i would like to rebuild the unit myself, links to rebuild and trustworthy part numbers would be greatly appreciated as well as personal feedback from rebuilding them yourselves.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
For a rebuild it would be about $385. To upgrade to the Si it's another $350.

When you call vortech, give them the serial number from your blower. They'll tell you the exact trim model. And if it can or cannot be upgraded.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For a rebuild it would be about $385. To upgrade to the Si it's another $350.

When you call vortech, give them the serial number from your blower. They'll tell you the exact trim model. And if it can or cannot be upgraded.
thanks. kinda steep for just an impeller and volute haahaha but im just glad prices havent changed much form the older forums.

any opinion on what path i should take?

skip upgrade, rebuild it myself?

or

upgrade and rebuild per vortech?

any personal experience with upgrade or rebuilding?

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I would upgrade to an si trim for sure. Flows close to the same as a T trim.

I think the website superchargerrebuilds.com sells bearings/seals to rebuild the blower yourself. But I think it's expensive, it's almost like at that point, is it worth saving a couple bucks? Or let vortech just rebuild it?

·
Registered
21,024 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Supercharger Rebuilds Vortech V1, V2, V3, V4, V5, V7, V9

It is expensive to buy from there. Imo, if your car will be down for a bit, I would send the blower in for an upgrade to Vortech.
good link, but indeed expensive. the beauty of it all is that its freezing in illinois so i got about 3 months to do so.

to be honest id love to get the rebuild kit just for the hands on experience but minus well have a professional do it for an extra 100$.

i see you have the V-1 is it upgraded at all?

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Yeah thats what I would do man.

Mine is just a V1 s, not upgraded at all. I do have a leak at the shaft seal. I think Im going to send it in to be rebuilt and upgraded to an Si trim. For when I do my motor build.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah thats what I would do man.

Mine is just a V1 s, not upgraded at all. I do have a leak at the shaft seal. I think Im going to send it in to be rebuilt and upgraded to an Si trim. For when I do my motor build.
very cool, i will definitely keep you posted and make a thread of my experience if i beat you to it and hopefully vice versa. idk why but just thinking about upgrading my blower is making me all giddy, although i am guna be really pissed that my blower will quiet some :( it was almost as loud as a v-1. some people said when they got theirs back it was almost silent.

motor build??? do tell...do tell!!!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Yeah definitely man. Im still up in the air about sending it in. I can just replace the rear shaft seal for like $12. And an hour or 2 of work. I bought my blower used, not sure how many miles. Seller said 3k miles but who knows, could have been more. And 30k miles its started leaking. And I bought the head unit for $375 shipped, so I cant complain haha.

Ive heard that too. Its probably from the bearings being fresh. Im sure after a thousand miles or so, it would get louder?? One good thing, the Si trim seems to be loud at higher RPM's.

Ive been collecting parts, planning on having the motor dropped in by April, May at the latest. What Im shooting for is

MMR1000 4.75l stroker assembly (having a local machine shop balance, and most likely assemble it if I dont feel I can do it)
Blow By Racing race ported heads with manley valves, comp high load springs
houston performance s292 cams
10% OD harmonic w/ 2.8-3" blower pulley. Keeping it 6 rib, so Ill see what I can do without getting belt slip.
Cobra hat w/ Ford GT pumps, modded FPDM, 40amp BAP, and 80lb inj (might get an e85 tune)
Kooks Longtubes w/ o/r X and either SLP LM2 mufflers, or Magnaflow
Hopefully upgrade the blower to the Si trim to get close to 20psi

Not sure on Intake manifold yet. Id love the Logan, but Idk if I want to spend $1500 on one. Unless I find one used. If not, either the edlebrock or P51 I think.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah definitely man. Im still up in the air about sending it in. I can just replace the rear shaft seal for like $12. And an hour or 2 of work. I bought my blower used, not sure how many miles. Seller said 3k miles but who knows, could have been more. And 30k miles its started leaking. And I bought the head unit for $375 shipped, so I cant complain haha.

Ive heard that too. Its probably from the bearings being fresh. Im sure after a thousand miles or so, it would get louder?? One good thing, the Si trim seems to be loud at higher RPM's.

Ive been collecting parts, planning on having the motor dropped in by April, May at the latest. What Im shooting for is

MMR1000 4.75l stroker assembly (having a local machine shop balance, and most likely assemble it if I dont feel I can do it)
Blow By Racing race ported heads with manley valves, comp high load springs
houston performance s292 cams
10% OD harmonic w/ 2.8-3" blower pulley. Keeping it 6 rib, so Ill see what I can do without getting belt slip.
Cobra hat w/ Ford GT pumps, modded FPDM, 40amp BAP, and 80lb inj (might get an e85 tune)
Kooks Longtubes w/ o/r X and either SLP LM2 mufflers, or Magnaflow
Hopefully upgrade the blower to the Si trim to get close to 20psi

Not sure on Intake manifold yet. Id love the Logan, but Idk if I want to spend $1500 on one. Unless I find one used. If not, either the edlebrock or P51 I think.
Wow dude cant wait, when i finished my build it was one of the best goals ive acheived thus far and it feels great when you do it yourself but dont be ashamed to take it to a machine shop to have the internals assembled, to be honest i really didnt want to gap the rings myself so i had a local guy balance and install the internals as well as gap the rings then i just took it home threw the heads on it and had it done in a couple hour. I will tell you this tho........and im sure you already know.......the wait is tremendous with pretty much any machinist unless you got the hook ups lol

Well besides getting off topic i wil definatley jump over to your build thread

As for the blower quieting im pretty sure your right im just not sure if all v-2s are SQ but yes i heard it will progressivly get louder with age and/or breaking them in. I dont think youll have much to worry about since you have a v-1. You could here my blower wining with the garage doors closed all the way inside the house. Hell even down the block lol (little overdramatic)

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Yeah man I'm pumped.

Well they so s, si, sq, and t trims for v2's. sq actually stands for "super quiet" cause new, they are really really quiet. Try to YouTube some.

Still waiting on a thread to see some pics of that Logan! That thing is nasty.

Where abouts you from?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah man I'm pumped.

Well they so s, si, sq, and t trims for v2's. sq actually stands for "super quiet" cause new, they are really really quiet. Try to YouTube some.

Still waiting on a thread to see some pics of that Logan! That thing is nasty.

Where abouts you from?
Ohhhhh so maybe i dont have an sq after all!! And yes i will post a thread reviewing and answering any questions im just gathering
some old photos from when i first got it. Chicago is where i hail from.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Lol that's what I was thinking man. Sq is quiet. I've seen some "louder" ones but not obnoxiously loud. Buddy of mine has an sq trim and its pretty loud, not as loud as mine, but close.

I would definitely call up Vortech give them the serial number, and they can tell you when the last time it was rebuilt (if it was) and what trim it is.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What V-2 did you end up having WooBoost?

Also, will I have to change anything on my 01 4v if I put a V-2 on it? (Besides the Pullies, Bracket and such.)
Just a regular s-trim :( but hey i Got the full kit for 1500$ so i couldnt complain

And i have no experiance with the 4v unfortunately but it seems like vortech kept everything pretty straight forward when it came to just switching brackets and such. Im assuming it should slide on with a proper brackets and oil lines. But what seems to be most important is weather its ccw or cw id imagine id be just the same as a 4.6 so you should be ok.

Youll have lots of fun even if you dont decide to build your motor. I was smiling the whole way home after the dyno. It was all worth it. And rolling up to anywhere with that thing whining made me feel like a bauss!!! :cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts