Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the results of my Dyno tune on 04/26/16.

I had low expectations for this upgrade as I have been hard pressed to find any actual Dyno proof of gains. Also several threads I have read list no results until 16+ psi. Well, here it is no more guessing.

My set up:

Before: (RED)
stock 4.6 ~145k miles.
Typhoon intake plenum and 75mm TB.
CX Racing 4" FMIC.
3.5" DIY Power Pipe with K&N RC 5040 in the fender.
42lb green top injectors Division X 340lph pump (returnless).
O/R H Pipe with welded in Flowmaster original 40 series.
Vortech V1 s Trim with 3.125 pulley stock Crank Pulley.

Car made 409WHP 383WTQ 10.6 psi @ 6500 with 21* advanced timing on 92 octane pump gas.

After: (Blue)

Stock 4.6 car turned 150K on the rollers yesterday.
Typhoon intake plenum and 75mm TB.
CX Racing 4" FMIC. (~3.5' of IC pipe cut out and 1 45* bend)
4" DIY Power Pipe with K&N RC 5102 stuffed like a glove in the fender.
42lb green top injectors.
O/R H Pipe with dumped Flowmaster original 40 series.
Upgraded Vortech V1 Si Trim with 3.125 pulley stock Crank Pulley.

Car made 448WHP 405WTQ 13 psi @ 6300 with 16* advanced timing on 91 pump gas. That's 40WHP and 22WTQ gain from a $400 upgrade.

Staggering and completely unexpected performance. As you can see in the graph my pump maxed out at ~5500 and leaned out towards the end of the pull. Rev limiter is set at 6200 for now. I can address the fuel needs with the 40amp BAP I purchased. I will post up the new complete numbers when I get a chance to install the BAP. Until then I will have fun and set my shift light at 5900

Attachments

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
Nice gain. Would be interesting to see what it would make with no other changes.

I think you were really pushing the envelope running 21 degrees on 92 octane. Even now at 16 degrees thats a little on the high side for that amount of boost and 91 octane.

If your pump is maxing at 5500, id set the shift light at 5200 so that your shifting right before it maxes not already into it starting to go lean. Your attached pic doesnt work. Repost so we can see how lean its going.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did I not post the graph right? Stock bottom is running great I'm sure it will take a beating and pop at some point but that's what my other motor is for. Give me a great excuse to finish it.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hang back, relax, and relieve some of the stress with a set of cams!
Pretty good gains man, how much did it cost to upgrade to the Si?
The upgrade was 400 plus shipping I think? I have MHS stage 2 blower cams but they won't go in this motor.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice gain. Would be interesting to see what it would make with no other changes.

I think you were really pushing the envelope running 21 degrees on 92 octane. Even now at 16 degrees thats a little on the high side for that amount of boost and 91 octane.
I ran the previous tune in the car for ~5-7k miles with at least one wot every trip. The car never hesitated knocked or sputtered and I was bringing it to 6500 on every shift. I was told by the DB Performance that something in my setup must be helping with knock because of the timing I've been getting away with. I literally beat the piss out of this car and have the whole 10 years I've had it. It's a joyride and if it can't take much more so be it. Everything I have read seems that I'm over the edge of safety but if I keep checking my plugs and stay of the limiter I think it will get me through the summer and then some.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
What fuel pump are you running?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Division X 340 with pprv delete picked up a 40 amp boost a pump but might just spend some time and switch it to a return system.

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
Goes lean quick after 5700-5800rpm. Would keep the shift points right around there to keep the afr at max of 12.0.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Goes lean quick after 5700-5800rpm. Would keep the shift points right around there to keep the afr at max of 12.0.
Yes it does! and that could equate to a bit of the HP gain as well. Until I get the BAP installed the rev limiter is set for 6100 and the shift light is set at 5800. Even at that shift point I'm gaining ~34 rwhp and 22 rwtq. The car is definitely stronger. before it would take a perfect 6500 1st to 2nd shift to get snaky in second, now the crap sumi 315/35/17 tires cant hold a wot second at all and the 2nd to 3rd shift has to be feathered. I have some 15x10 billet specialties but waiting to get the fronts to match. Thinking about 17x7 for the front.

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 AM ----------

ok I can see the graph now.

extra torque from 3000 up, nice.

I got quoted $750 or so for a rebuild and upgrade together.
The rebuild would have been my choice if I had more miles on the head unit. still your under the gold slandered $75 per HP. In fact if you gain as much as I did your under $20 per HP plus a new head unit.

:smile2:

·
Registered
36 Posts
The rebuild would have been my choice if I had more miles on the head unit. still your under the gold slandered $75 per HP. In fact if you gain as much as I did your under $20 per HP plus a new head unit.

:smile2:
Well, I have to get a motor spinning again first lol. but good to know the upgrade is worthwhile.

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts