Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about picking up a used setup, from what I understand these are the most affordable. I got a quote for 800$ install plus 400$ tune and about 100$ for misc parts. Does this seem right? How hard is the actual install? I'm thinkng of doing the install myself and just letting the shop tune and dyno it for 400$

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
Used is def the way to go just make sure the impellers spin freely and there isnt excessive play. Install is pretty simple, mostly just bolting on brackets. The hardest parts are taping the oil pan and doin the fuel pump but you could do everythin else and just leave that to the shop if you didnt feel up to it save you some cash. Its always a great feel to say you did the work yourself.

·
Registered
324 Posts
i say do it yourself. If you have any knowledge of cars its pretty easy, just download the install manual from vortech. Easy way to save $800.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They say it's a 7 hr install but that has to be including the fuel pump install and taping the pan. I'm up for the challenge lol would I have to get it towed to the shop since it wouldn't be tuned?

·
Registered
487 Posts
its not extremely hard to install, if you got the time and tools id say do it yourself.
i used to work 6 days a week and i couldnt install it myself so i took it to a shop.

i paid 600 for the install, and 200 for the tune.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am doing a V1 right now and it's a breeze so far. I even converted a CW V1 found on ebay for $650 with all new bearings. Found a CCW volute and a 928 motorsports impeller and it's a done deal. Bracket and misc stuff came from superchargersonline.com. Made the tubing from various aluminum pipes on ebay and silicone couplers.

Tons of used kits are going too, and I would recommend looking at Prochargers (P1SC's) and Powerdynes, etc. Vortech is like the microsoft of superchargers, big bloated, and unresponsive. Expect zero help from them when buying a used kit if you have a question. All they want is for you to send them the unit for a rebuild, period. Nothing wrong with Vortech units but there are tons of alternatives that are just as good if not better. Bottom line, if you find a good used deal with a bracket it dosen't matter the brand- they are virtually all the same.

If you find a really good deal for a Vortech V1 or V2, make sure the impeller is good (no bent fins, etc). Bearing kits are around (superchargerrebuilds.com is very good) for around $250-350 and if your good mechanically you can rebuild yourself.

After I am done I will post pics, vids, and a guide on the process.

Reactions: njstang
1 - 10 of 10 Posts