Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok since no one can really answer my question as far as the KB s/c on the mach 1, how about a vortec?? has anyone installed one on a mach1 before? are there any internals, bottom end, or back end mods needed for optimal performance?

·
Registered
649 Posts
well, if you put a vortec on it, if you're going to run more than 10 or 11lbs, id DEF get an intercooler bolted up at the same time. some forged rods and pistons will ensure a longer life. i heard the stock rods and pistons are only good for roughly 7psi tho...

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
and considering machs are high compression motors!

·
Registered
13 Posts
i have a 04 mach with the H.O. vortech kit on it running 9 psi. and i have a completely stock motor. I installed it myself. the instal went pretty smoothly. You have to do minor mods to the fan shroud, relocate the fan resistor, and modify the belt tensioner. everything else is pretty straight forward. I made 495rwhp 442rwtq 9.23psi 22 degrees or timing. we backed it off for a safe tune to 19 degrees of timing and it made 471rwhp 427rwtq @9.23 psi tuned by mike post and corey simpson at dynotunemp. the only supporting mods i have are long tube headers, x-pipe, and mufflers with dumps. i have always been told mach motors are safe up to 450rwhp but i have seen plenty of people push it past that and last them a 2-3yrs. although some of them only last months. Its gotta be a chance your willing to take. And if your going to be boosting more than 10psi you will eventually need to have forged internals, better sooner than later. your going to want a new clutch too, and a new rear end because those axels tend to break pretty easy. i have had the kit on for about 3 months and its great, i haven't gone to the track yet so i am not to worried about the rear end or clutch yet, but they are deff next on the mod list.

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
I wouldn't push past 425 on stock motor, it's fine to accept a little risk but understand that when the powdered rods go in the modular engines they tend to destory blocks, IMO just stick to around 400rwhp on a good safe tune and you will be fine, after that you should realy look into bottom end upgrades and some supporting drivetrain mods

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
You can install a kb on a mach, and you can install a vortech on a mach. It's more or less what your looking for out of the supercharger. If you are going to run higher boost you better build that motor up, and your fuel system up, and get yourself a nice tune. Keep that in mind. But do some research on the types of superchargers out there first before you just go around asking questions about all different types. Really depends on what you want out of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts