Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Hip Hop Artist
6,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lol... i was wondering how hard would it be to do a gt500 eaton m122 swap onto a gt? it is possible no? also what other parts would i need? and how much would this come out too? i can pick up the roush tvs for about 5400 but if the eaton is cheaper i would like to go with that.

Thank's

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Not worth it. There is no intake manifold. So you would be looking at a custom manifold. And the cost of that would run you over just buying a Kenne Bell, Whipple, Roush, Edelbrock, Paxton, Vortech, etc. or any of the other proven solutions.

Plus, the M122 is not the cat' jammies...that's why GT500 owners take them off for the Roush TVS or a Kenne Bell.

Actually, I am pretty sure you could use the Roush TVS intake manifold...so see what that costs.

An make sure you factor in all the other stuff, fuel rails, plugs, intercooler pump, heat exchanger, PCV lines, heater coolant tubes, radiator hose adapters, etc. Lots of loose ends.

·
Golf Pencil Kawk Juggler
2,421 Posts
Just get a KB or Saleen or Procharger and be done w/ it.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
The only concievable way to do it is to get the Roush TVS intake manifold which will allow the GT500 Eaton M122 bolt up. However, Roush isn't selling these things cheap. I've heard a lot of people get told they can't buy it separate and I've heard Roush telling some vendors and tuners that can buy it separate but it was close to $4000. So, just forget about it .. ;)

·
BWAL Is My Hero
15,891 Posts
torktech.com wait for their kit..
They've been "working" on that kit for like 2 years. I don't see it comming out anytime soon. Also, why a put a heaton on anything when there are better blowers out there? If you are really cheap just wait for something used to pop-up on ebay. Such as a used saleen blower, 2.4 or 2.6 KB or first gen Whipple. Any of those would be leaps and bounds better than the heaton.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
GT500 blower would be pretty sweet on a GT...........remember, that thing is cramming air into a 5.4 DOHC, not a 4.6 SOHC. It would be WAYYY more than enough to shatter a stock bottom end, and plenty for most people with a built bottom end.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
that god damn search button....will somebody fix it already please?

·
Registered
489 Posts
GT500 blower would be pretty sweet on a GT...........remember, that thing is cramming air into a 5.4 DOHC, not a 4.6 SOHC. It would be WAYYY more than enough to shatter a stock bottom end, and plenty for most people with a built bottom end.
Not only that but they have the option of an upgraded TVS supercharger that is more efficient than the equivalent TS.

·
Hip Hop Artist
6,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i asked around and heard all i needed was the intake adapter.. which i could make by sketching out the bottom of the blower and the my intake manifold. and just take it to a metal shop

·
BWAL Is My Hero
15,891 Posts
i asked around and heard all i needed was the intake adapter.. which i could make by sketching out the bottom of the blower and the my intake manifold. and just take it to a metal shop
If it were that easy it would have been done already. When its all said and done you mine as well by a more effieicent slightly used blower kit that you know will work. The headache your going to have trying to make the GT500 blower work won't be worth it. Even if you get the blower for free or nearly free.

Its your money, so no one can stop you from trying. But, your better off saving money and buying a kit.

·
BWAL Is My Hero
15,891 Posts
Sure it will. It would actually be easier to destroy your stock bottem end with this blower than say a saleen blower even though the saleen blower is larger. Mainly because your going to start spark-knocking at a lot lower boost levels because so much more heat is generated by a GT500 blower (Eaton) than all the other blower kits. Its the same reason everyone says stay away from the early Roush kits (Pre-TVS) .

You can get a Saleen kit used for ~$2800-$3000 if you are patient. Make more power on lower boost, have a actually complete kit that you know will work. Or you can pick up a GT500 blower for next to nothing, have a lower intake designed and made for you for what? $1500 to $3000 depending on the quality and who is doing the designing/fabricating. Then have the headache of trying to make it all work together on a design that is not proven in any way shape or form.

You can't just get a "adapter" to make it fit our stock lower intake. That will NOT work.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Sure it will. It would actually be easier to destroy your stock bottem end with this blower than say a saleen blower even though the saleen blower is larger. Mainly because your going to start spark-knocking at a lot lower boost levels because so much more heat is generated by a GT500 blower (Eaton) than all the other blower kits. Its the same reason everyone says stay away from the early Roush kits (Pre-TVS) .

You can get a Saleen kit used for ~$2800-$3000 if you are patient. Make more power, have a actually complete kit that you know will work. Or you can pick up a GT500 blower for next to nothing, have a lower intake designed and made for you for what? $1500 to $3000 depending on the quality and who is doing the designing/fabricating and you can't just get a "adapter" to make it fit our stock lower intake. That will NOT work.
I'd beg to differ. When a car comes from the factory, they pulley the eaton so that it isn't out of its efficiency range. Unless your gonna be pushing more than 9 to 12psi the eatons have proven time and time again that they can be reliable. I will give you that the normal mp eatons aren't as efficient as ts blowers but they can hold their own.

I'd argue that people stay away fromt he Roush blowers because they use the dinky mp90 which chokes the v8. I mean, the x-charger for the v6 uses the damn mp90.

·
BWAL Is My Hero
15,891 Posts
I'd beg to differ. When a car comes from the factory, they pulley the eaton so that it isn't out of its efficiency range. Unless your gonna be pushing more than 9 to 12psi the eatons have proven time and time again that they can be reliable. I will give you that the normal mp eatons aren't as efficient as ts blowers but they can hold their own.

I'd argue that people stay away fromt he Roush blowers because they use the dinky mp90 which chokes the v8. I mean, the x-charger for the v6 uses the damn mp90.
Sure. But even at 12 PSI you not going to make as much power any of the TS kits at 10 PSI. On top of that, you will have to crank your timing much farther down with the Eaton than with the TS to keep your motor safe.

My point is, why try to mangle all this together and end up spending ALMOST as much as just buying a kit that is going to be more efficient, make more power and have a LOT more room to grow? It just doesn't make sense. Sure, if you could just get a GT500 blower for cheap and a adapter that works. I'm all for it if your going to save a bunch of money. But there isn't a lower that works for cheap and your not going to save a bunch of money by getting the Roush lower. So why not just save some money and buy a kit that you know will work for almost the same money that, in the end, is better?

Case in point:

2005 - 2010 MUSTANG SALEEN SUPERCHARGER NEW NO RESERVE:eBay Motors (item 170392713718 end time Oct-19-09 15:42:42 PDT)

Besides trolling forums for a used blower, another good way to find a decent used kit at a good price is to contact the big shops that do a lot of blower installs. A lot of times they will have a customer looking to upgrade to the next big thing. You can get real good deals that way as well.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
No, you'd need the intake manifold from the Roush TVS kit or the kit that Torktech is building (if it ever comes out).

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts

Riiiiight....with an intercooler built into it.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Nasty is right...the Roush intake manifold would be plug-n-play. But call Roush and find out how much it costs, and get back to us.

Oh yeah, don't forget the new heater rail, the coolant adapter kit, the fuel rails, new injectors, and antything else you do NOT have off the gT500 such as an intercooler pump, heat exchanger, new PCV lines (or breather setup), intake tube...

See where this is going> even if you get the intake manifold for cheap (which you won't) you are going to be nickel-and-dimed to death on all the other stuff.

Just to put the final frustration to you, the GT500 uses an 8 or 10 rib setup (I don't know which; Nasty can answer that one) but our cars have a 6 rib, so you need to sort that out as well.

Just man up and buy a TVS, KB, Saleen, Whipple, or Edelbrock!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts