Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought the spray tint for my lights. did my brake lights tonight. wanna do my rear bumper reflectors and foglights. anybody have a great method for doing even coats? and i'd like to see someone who has done it. im just going for the smoked look. instead of that blazing red..

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
I taped off 3 inches around where I was spraying, then had a spot to start on the side. I sprayed that spot, brought the can back til I was happy then straight over in a fairly quick pass. Thin coats don't run and dry quicker. The reflectors on the back look about perfect with two coats, or at least that is what I think.

·
I'm cool..
2,277 Posts
Where did you buy your cans at? I want to do it friday. Ill show you my method when i do it. I was going to take off the plastic glossy look with wet sand paper.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I bought mine at orielys... I got a black stang without my spoiler...blacked out the reflectors...the fog's...third brake light and the grill...ima take off my trunk badges eventualy

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Well the only reason I haven't is because I'm afraid the ford emblem ha a indention line up hole behind it

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I just noticed your in houston texas... Sweet man I'm down near corpus christi texas...bout 30 miles from corpus

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
i only used one... and thats cause i even did my left tail light a total of 3 times lmao... i did just one nice heavy coat just make sure it dont run... i had to re do mine cause a bug got on it and well once you get it out the tints un even..then the 2nd time i did it too dark... 3rd time was the charm

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just used a green scotch bright pad, like you scrub dishes with, got it looking kinda hazy/cloudy looking and then cleaned it with alcohol wipes and then sprayed 6 LIGHT coats, on VHT Nightshade on my tail lights, it took me about 2 hours, total start to finish, the more time you take the better they'll turn out, heres mine :D

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
i heated up the can under hot water first (always do that with rattle cans) that way the propellent gasses inside are heated and have more pressure. the spray comes out in a finer mist nad goes on more evenly. I used a couple light coats on my tails and nplan onhitting my reflectors this weekend. dont want the black look, just a smoked look.

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
Mike, yes the ford emblem has those damn holes, otherwise I would not have it on my car anymore. :mad:

I did 3 light coats on mine when I did them. They wre not completely even, but overtime faded to an even color. I just need to clear them now.

Any pics of yours yet?

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
i heated up the can under hot water first (always do that with rattle cans) that way the propellent gasses inside are heated and have more pressure. the spray comes out in a finer mist nad goes on more evenly. I used a couple light coats on my tails and nplan onhitting my reflectors this weekend. dont want the black look, just a smoked look.
I do the same thing. Just soak the can in a tub of hot water (keep the tip out of the water) for awhile.

ok so ignore that don't heat warning label? haha
Leave it in some hot water to heat it up. Don't stick it in the fire or anything and you'll be fine.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts