Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a mishimoto fan to my car and when I first bought the car the previous owner decided to remove the fan relay and run a wire from the the fan all the way back to a switch that dangles next to my steering wheel and as I was working on it. the positive power wire that was open touched the waterpump pulley and it sparked a little and now the fan doesn't work the fan runs all the way back through a switch and in to the fuse box. the wire doesn't have a fuse it connects in to a fuse terminal.

I'm trying to connect the fuse and splice it to my ignition power.
so the real question

how many amps of fuse should I use 15,20, or 30?

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
so your powering the fan off the ignition through a switch only?

you need to use the switch to trigger a relay that has a direct connection with the battery otherwise it will probably burn up the switch. get a 30 amp relay and wire it up.

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts

you need to use the switch to trigger a relay that has a direct connection with the battery otherwise it will probably burn up the switch. get a 30 amp relay and wire it up.
Yup. Always run a fuse! I'm betting that it was fused someplace, otherwise the wire would have gone up in smoke if you shorted it.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

It goes through a fuse and a a toggle switch

·
Registered
222 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That has got to be one of the biggest rip offs I've seen in a while! You can get the same relay at autozone for $6, a pack of crimp connectors for $3 and find your own screw.

Honestly, I think $6 at autozone is a joke too... Those relays are $1!!!
what is the difference between fuses and relays

·
Registered
222 Posts
A fuse prevents a circuit from drawing too much current. For example, you put a 15amp fuse on your accessories, and if something draws more than that, it blows the fuse to protect whatever is connected to that circuit.

A relay lets you switch a heavy load, like a fan, or headlights, with a small tiny switch. Unlike a switch in your house, where the actual power that the lights are drawing runs through it, you use a relay to signal a remote activated switch, to switch that heavy load.

Check out http://dwapi.com/mustang/relay.pdf for details about a relay. For a fuse, How Does a Fuse Work? | eHow.com

1 - 20 of 23 Posts