Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I've got some sort of stats on both and a very basic understanding about gears. I sold some stuff I didn't use and I'm really thinking gears/tlok FINALLY. I wanna know what anyone and everyone thinks.

Thing to know/consider... Daily Driver (Nightly Speeder) 98 v6 AUTO, CAI/UDP/TB (Mistake? Maybe) MAC Y-pipe exhaust, Tuned (No Speed Limiter :D) Closing in on 200k miles but head gaskets recently redone (1.5 years back) so its running great.

I do quite a bit of highway travel, most of my "what the hell...why not" pulls are from a roll, and I don't wanna get rid of too much top end (a buddy of mine at work has the same car, same setup, but I'm tuned, so getting up through the shifts is my adv. when we screw around). In the future (after I've got a new DD and this becomes a project car) I'd like to H/C/I but not sure about FI. SOO this suggests 3.73s.
However, it almost seems like I can't resist the 4.10s with an auto and the time it can chop off of 0-60(mph not feet), plus I've heard the top speed difference between 3.73 and 4.10 is only about 3-5 mph.

I'll take ANY opinions, and any info from experience. And I'd love any rough estimates about how much time you can shave off of 0-60 and est. top MPH. Sorry about the rambling, it's late and I've consumed caffeine...lots :eek:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK I used to dream of the 4.10 acceleration but got to thinking I'd rather the 3.73s last night. I think I've made up my mind now for good. Hwy mpg matters to me, I'm on 95 for at least 10-15 miles a few times a week. Plus, I'm in S FL and my Dad's in NC, so I like to drive up there when I can (if gas happens to be cheaper than a plane ticket, plus you gotta love road trippin' in your own Stang).

Not to stray from the topic, but I'm not starting a new thread just for a related question. Can the Ford Racing Tlok (from AM) be trusted? Reviews seem mixed wherever I look. They're either great or I hear horror stories. I'm not putting a ton of power to the wheels, so I don't think I'm pushing any mechanical limit on these things.

And the Ford Racing Speedo ReCal (also from AM)... From what I've read I'd NEED one if I wanted the right MPH to show, but a ton of people say it sucks...?

·
Registered
546 Posts
i have some new 3.73's and tlok for sale. pm me

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
And the Ford Racing Speedo ReCal (also from AM)... From what I've read I'd NEED one if I wanted the right MPH to show, but a ton of people say it sucks...?
Get a handheld tuner. It's more expensive but it doesn't need to be installed and it will be handy for future mods as well as giving you the ability to advance your timing to take advantage of higher octane fuel, checking CELs, and other fun little things.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got the upper and lower for a future split port. Need to save up for heads and all the accessory stuff. That's part of my future plan for the car. I don't have a ton of time to mess around because (for now) it's my DD.

I do have a tuner, and it's great. Screens fading in the heat but that's another story. I was told in the past that a tuner wouldn't work for a 98 though. My only problem IF the tuner is all I need is that my tune came from Brenspeed who doesn't have gears for the 7.5' end (and I don't feel like swapping right now).

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
you can do a split port swap in a weekend with the parts infront of you!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hm ok, I've read a little about it but not sure how I feel about messing with the fuel line. Still think it's worth it to try. Just wanna do it right if I do it. I guess I could follow the little PDF the SSM has.

·
Registered
615 Posts
many horror stories come from incorrect usage and stupidity.

and from what you're talking about with the mods, you should be good with that tlok

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
imo for naturally aspirated,

stockish single ports - 3.73's
split ports - 4.10's

stock single port makes peak power at 4k rpms so 4.10 gears would make each gear very short. id get the handheld tuner and 3.73's if i were you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have a tuner, SCT X3, but it's a whacked out right now. I'll hafta see if I can get with SCT to see if there's a repair option or if I'm out another $379.

Anybody with a 98 know for sure if a tuner fixes the speedo problem though? I've heard 94-98 needs the tool but 99+ only needs the tuner

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great news on the speedo gear, so thanks, I had heard that before as well. I assume I'll need a re-tune anyways to redo the shift points.

I'm still on the fence for FI. Have a bit of thinking to do (and learning to do), but once I decide what I want to do, I'll probably do it all at once.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Seems like everywhere I look for those speedo gears, it's something different. Somehow I ended up at Steeda's site. They claim an 8 tooth drive, 23 tooth gear for a 1998 Auto Trans switching to 3.73s. I guess I'll find out someway or another. My girlfriend's truck is pretty accurate with speed, so if I get the wrong one I could tell somewhat by pacing.

At least its a pretty inexpensive part if I end up with the wrong one :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts