Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 mustang gt, black, 116k miles, was beat on a little, brand new tires on it, Its in decent condition I would expect atleast 4500$ for it. I've been looking at cobras on auto trader, I will go up to 25 grand max, its whatever they will finance me for, I will bring 5k for a down payment. I bought my GT in july 07, I will probably go for the cobra in june, I am young, 20 years old, I have a good job, I get overtime, make about 50k a year. I really hope I have credit by then, my mom was a cosigner for the GT, but her credit started getting bad after my parents divorce. So I just gave the most info I could. Now my question is, what are some things I should look for when getting a cobra? I don't mean to have such a dumb question it is just I have noone to ask. I have done my own research. Another question is do you think I would have some type of credit around june or july after paying on my car for one year? Payments are 300 a month, I pay 75$ weekly. I know cobras are very nice cars and must not be beat on, I would take great care of it. What are some good price ranges? What are some things to look for in one? Thank you in advanced brothers. I look forward to being here a lot more often. Driving a stickshift has made me really start to get into cars. I really like driving my car. I want something very sick, I would upgrade on my car, but it has 116k, that wouldn't be smart. Thanks again :)

·
EMT
6,566 Posts
get a 03-04 Cobra and put about 8,000down and a good deal on a termi would be about 23,000-25,000! good luck bro! or you can buy a nice 96-98 Cobra for around 6,000-10,000

·
Registered
599 Posts
Any cobra is cool. you can get the 96-98 ones cheap. the 99-02 arnt badly priced , and the 03-04's are just badass. if you make payments for a yr on the car you got you should have no trouble gettin a bigger loan fromt the bank your at as long as you can prove you can afford it

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would LOVE to get my hands on a clean fox cobra. I know its no termi but still badass in its own right.

·
Registered
498 Posts
i say go for it i kinda wan to get one too

·
Registered
303 Posts
Go for it if u have the $$$. I wanted a 03-04 termi but couldnt swing it. good luck man.

·
The UPS guy
3,232 Posts
96-98 cobra ftw....cheap and basically just as good as 99/01 and look better IMO....can be had for under 11k with under 90k miles....good luck man...

·
amateur adult film star
1,040 Posts
get a nice 99 or 2000 cobra and slap a sc on it and your good to go the i found a 99 and an 01 for both around 10 gs to bad i cant afford it

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I make 50k a year and live at home brothers, checks are 710$ AFTER taxes a week before taxes they are 991, I have a fulltime job, I have been paying on my car for a year. Why can't some of you guys swing it? Is it lack of funds? Or is this car much harder to get a loan for?

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
average car payment is in the high 400's a month for a termi if you put a few thousand down on one.
plus you have insurance, gas, maintanence
, and your other normal expenses to deal with.
It's feesable that it could be done with your paycheck buy you would be stretching yourself very thin

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Strethcing myself thin? I get about 2900 a month after taxes, and probably have 1500 a month in bills including my 300$ car payment, (I pay for all my own things my rent is 400 at my mothers).You guys think its a bad idea with my income?

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
the general rule of thumb is if your putting out (spending)
more than one third of your income your not in a good situation.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I make 50k a year and live at home brothers, checks are 710$ AFTER taxes a week before taxes they are 991, I have a fulltime job, I have been paying on my car for a year. Why can't some of you guys swing it? Is it lack of funds? Or is this car much harder to get a loan for?

well i done had my Tacoma for a DD...plus all my other stuff and 400 + wasnt in the cards for me at the time...plus i didnt plan on driving the car alot in the winter more of a nice weather car...hated to spend that much on something i couldnt drive all the time....plan on building my 2v with a KB and more at the end of the year.....:cool:got to have a 4x4 lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you think it would be cheaper to just get an 00-01 cobra and put a SC on it like one of you suggested?

·
EMT
6,566 Posts
get a 96-98 Cobra and throw a S/C on it! there are many reported problems with the 99-00 cobras plus they look good! :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts