Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much would I be looking at as far as cost goes on a motor... All motor no procharger or anything like that :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What is the top dollar you would spend? I have never built a motor so I have no idea what I should be looking at as far as cost

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
at a minimum for a na car to go high elevens i would say cams, intake, exhaust, 4.10's, lots of weight reduction, slicks, and a good driver. you may still need to do heads to get there.

·
Registered
403 Posts
at a minimum for a na car to go high elevens i would say cams, intake, exhaust, 4.10's, lots of weight reduction, slicks, and a good driver. you may still need to do heads to get there.
With cams as big as youll need them youll need to at least notch the pistons to prevent PTV.

·
Registered
601 Posts
While it's very possible, I'm willing to bet you'd spend more trying to get mid-11's N/A than if you just went F/I and some good tires. Do you want to do it N/A because you think it'll be cheaper or for some other reason? Because it's not going to be.

·
April 2012 ROTM
4,739 Posts
281 CID = expensive NA 11's lol It'l cost you alot more time, money and frustration to do it NA and it will probably take some driveability out of the car

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Not if its an auto. An auto with a stall, shiftkit, gears, sticky tires (mickey thompsons) and a shot of nitrous will do it.

If your looking for all motor, same stuff I just said minus nitrous plus full bolt ons, cams, and probally a set of a heads too. Need some weight reduction.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Its not expensive if you are willing to give up a lot, like AC, power steering, power breaks, etc. The less you want to give up the more it cost. Ian Mullane's old 96 248A car went 11.90's NA with a stock explorer long block with only the usual bolt on's but his car was really light. I believe it it came in around 2800 lbs. and it made 266 RWHP.

You have to first figure out what you are willing to give up.

·
Banned
97 Posts
The owner or previous owner of this website (whichever) ran 11.42 on a stock motor with a blower and bolt ons, back when he used to actually care and post on this site, years back
believe he used a vortech to do so

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Cams, full bolt ons, heads, gears, a really good tune, then let me drive it.

Way quicker when I want to be, but I was lifting off the gas there. Not trying to destroy the clutch already.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
What is the most you can spend? That opens more options.
See, now that's a logical question that involved a little bit of common sense. :eek:

Better than blurting out 11's N/A and basically having no idea of how to get it done. It's probably his daily driver too, so he needs to just look around for an affordable Procharger, Vortech, whatever. That way he can bust out some low 12's probably with no bolt ons, stock exhaust, stock suspension, even stock tires if he knows how to launch it decently, and just a good tune.

I like what Trevor did a while ago, doing a 12.1X N/A with a GT, but it's usually more of a hassle than what it's worth to get good N/A times with a 2V 4.6.

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
Like these guys have said.. cams, heads, full exhaust, gears, less wieght and the driver mod should get ya down in the 11s, oh yeah and sticky tires are a must...which also means built rear. But why are you agaisnt forced induction? Itd be cheaper, easier install and itd make quite a bit more power on a stock longblock than a built n/a block will.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Itd be cheaper, easier install and itd make quite a bit more power on a stock longblock than a built n/a block will.
Maybe because he thinks N/A will be easier, or cheaper. The 4.6 already makes peak torque way up at 4,000, so a high powered N/A 4.6 is just going to be a depressing street engine.

Well either way, one of my cars will eventually have boost. Wait no, two. I'm either going to pick up a Ram 2500 diesel or a VW Jetta TDI diesel as a new DD. One turbo there, might start to build a twin turbo 383 for the Camaro since I pulled the engine and it's a good 4 bolt 350 block, or go with a centrifugal on the Mustang.

With the way gas and fuel prices are going up, I'm probably scrapping my plan of a truck. I'd hate to drive an econo box Volkswagen, but it'll give the Mustang a break and save me huge money at the pump.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts