Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So almost a month ago, I found coolant in my oil, and I immediately thought head gasket. I took the head off and replaced the gasket. Two days ago, I noticed my engine temp would go up rather quickly when idling. I checked the radiator and it was low, it needed about 1 and a half gallons. I filled it up again. I checked everywhere for leaks, not a drop. I'm thinking my cylinder head is warped or cracked. I'm gonna take the head to a shop, and if it's warped, I'm going to shave it. I've heard people can go up to .150, but what is a good number if I want to keep it at 87 octane, and no adjustment to timing/cam, etc. I'm not really looking for a power increase, I just need a car to drive :)

·
Banned
3,511 Posts
You should always shave when you put on a new head gasket. Anywhere between .100"-.150" ought to be good power wise, but if you aren't worried about power in it, just take off enough to make it flat. I personally took .060" off of mine. You can also do a compression test to see what you're at, and shave accordingly to bump it back up.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you are going to mill for CR, I would suggesting getting a "CC kit" from summit or jegs or where ever you like to shop.
The best way to do it is to measure the size of your chamber now, decide how high you think you can push the CR on your fuel choice, and start calculating it out...
Figure roughly .007" will net you an increase of about .1CR. (that is approximate, but pretty close for what I saw on my DP head)

I took mine to 9.6 CR using a Ranger cam.
I probably could have taken it a little higher though... maybe 10:1...
Others here have gone higher than that

I don't know how likely these heads are to warp, but I know how likely they are to crack.
Make sure they check for cracks when you take it in.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
+1 on both, I would first have it crack checked, then if its good, take .075" to .100" off of it. You dont need the .150", its more of a pain to deal with.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
also, take the cam followers out and spin the cam to make sure its not binding. If th cam spins with minimal effort, you are good to proceed with the other two. They usually dont warp bad enough to mis align the cam journals, but it doesnt hurt to check.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts