Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
haven't been on in awhile, but since then I had installed a spydershaft.

pretty much had the vibration and pinion angle set, but for some reason the pinion seal was leaking out of the new flange

so I replaced the seal, and it was still leaking. I was told by a few people on this forum and other forums to pound on it with a hammer and 2x4 and then hit it with the impact wrench a bunch. long story short, I need a new bearing set and gears. I'm not bitter about the advice I was given, it was my choice to take it and what is done is done.

my question now is that the dealership is claiming 900+ for just the bearings and labor, and recommend gears too. I'm waiting on a call for the total price.

isn't that covered under the power train warranty (5 years/60,000 miles) which I am still covered for? anyone know how to get this price cheaper?

and since it had 3.55's before, can I have them put in 3.73's and use my sct x-cal 3 to change the computer?

thanks sorry about the long post

·
Premium Member
12,055 Posts
mods arent covered by warranty unless its a ford part and is installed by ford.

EDIT:even if the parts that are stock break, if the modded part breaks that stock part, it'll void the warranty.

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
Who gave you that advice.

Well you modded the car so I guess thats why they arent covering it. Should have put the stocker back on and never said anything.

Its expensive but what are you going to do. The ring and pinion is 179 the master install kit is 140 and they are charging whatever they charge in labor.

They probably will do 3.73s becuase that is standard on the bullit. My dealership originally would not do 4.10s becuase it was a frpp part. Just depends on the dealer.

And yes you should be able to change it with your sct. Unless you got that sct from a tuner that didnt add that function. After my dyno tune i dont seem to have any of the optional parameters on my xcal that were there before.

pretty much had the vibration and pinion angle set, but for some reason the pinion seal was leaking out of the new flange

so I replaced the seal, and it was still leaking. I was told by a few people on this forum and other forums to pound on it with a hammer and 2x4 and then hit it with the impact wrench a bunch. long story short, I need a new bearing set and gears. I'm not bitter about the advice I was given, it was my choice to take it and what is done is done.

my question now is that the dealership is claiming 900+ for just the bearings and labor, and recommend gears too. I'm waiting on a call for the total price.

isn't that covered under the power train warranty (5 years/60,000 miles) which I am still covered for? anyone know how to get this price cheaper?

and since it had 3.55's before, can I have them put in 3.73's and use my sct x-cal 3 to change the computer?

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts

They see that spydershaft on there and you'll get nothing and like it like Spaulding Smails...

...Now if you had put the OEM driveshaft on there you might have been OK...but it is too late for that now.

I think you are going to have to pay up. But since you are paying, put in what you want.

Thus is the risk in modding...sorry, man. I've been there. :eek:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put the stocker on before I took it to the dealer.

As far as they know it was never on there. The only thing they know is that "I noticed the pinion seal leaking so I replaced it and it was still leaking and started making noise" so I took it in. The only thing the service guy said was that he referenced the part numbers with ford and they came up as not covered.

Tuner was from brenspeed, came with my C&L.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
they haven't said it was voided yet, they just said the parts they need to fix it aren't covered under the warranty. i don't know why...the rear axle is definitely part of the "powertrain"

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
they haven't said it was voided yet, they just said the parts they need to fix it aren't covered under the warranty. i don't know why...the rear axle is definitely part of the "powertrain"
Are you sure Ford doesn't classify the rear axle as part of the drivetrain?

·
Premium Member
12,055 Posts
did you ask ford if the rear axle usually is covered by warranty? if they say yes, show proof that you have warranty on it and they should cover it.

·
Registered
818 Posts
definately should be covered under warranty IF THEY DONT KNOW ITS BEEN MODDED. One thing you could do is swap in the stock driveshaft and find a dealership thats more "mod friendly"...they do exist. Maybe check with other mustang junkies in your area and find out. If the dealership isn't going to cover it, I wouldn't pay that price. I would buy the parts and take it to a reputable speed shop...they'll do the swap for much cheaper.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
yea that was my question kind of, shouldn't it be covered, and how do I make sure?
I'm pretty sure Ford doesn't consider the rear axle part of the powertrain. I believe the motor and transmission are covered under the powertrain which excludes the clutch.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i think nasty is right, they referenced the part numbers and they weren't covered. catfish shed some light too.

me replacing the pinion seal and over tightening it voided it anyways = my fault

talked to some friends who are in the gear business, and i think i am going to go with just replacing what was wrong, not the gears. talked to the manager and hes giving me ten percent off the whole price

1 - 15 of 15 Posts