Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have a bit of a problem just recently my low coolant light came on so i did the obvisous thing and checked my fluid and indeed it was low so i filled it and went on my merry way not too long after it came on again and once again it was low. i have checked the radiator and it is not leaking the hoses are not cracked or leaking i am just thinking that it may be the water pump i know these are supposedly problematic with the 5.0's if anyone has some insight for me it would be great

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
the waterpumps have a seep hole on them, when the gasket goes it will leak out the hole, if this is not the issue....

might want to check your oil.. or for leaking at the heater core if not bypassed... also most of the throttlebodies have a coolant hose attached to them.

i have also seen where the rad's have had cracks in them half way up the side then it will leak out to a certian point and stop, once you refill it, it will start again until the level reaches the crack then it stops.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
most common 5.0 leak points- in no particular order

1)heater core
2)thermostat housing
3)heater core
4)intake gaskets
5)heater core
6)timing cover
7)heater core
8)water pump

oh, almost forgot, ck the heater core. pull back the carpet on the pass side footwell and see if it's wet underneath.

·
Registered
100 Posts
So you're saying the heater core might be bad? :D
Do you see any coolant on the ground after the car sits? If it's the water pump make sure you don't break off any bolts in the block, not that I did that the last 2 times I changed mine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts