Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got my 50,000 mile check up and they said I need a new water pump, I no nuthing of them so what's some good brands and where could I get them, and are they easy to istall or will I need to bring it to a shop to install and how much would this all run for

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
They are easy to install. This is a stay at home job. A new water pump at 50k? Is your car overheating at all? Is the water pump rattling?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Idk, the guy said it was leaking so I'm hoping i'll just need a new gasket cuz I haven't picked it up yet, how much are electric and where could I find one, I've looked on summit, moss, and AM

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
brenspeed sells them. and our water pumps use a o ring not a gasket...so I would check that first before buying an electric one for 400 bucks...

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
brenspeed sells them. and our water pumps use a o ring not a gasket...so I would check that first before buying an electric one for 400 bucks...
wont i need to also buy UD's if i get an electric, and when i went on summit and put in the search water pump for 06, it showed me gaskets

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
If the water pump is leaking I'm sure it's not the o-ring gasket. It's probably wear in the pump bearings which cause a little slop, then the shaft seal starts to leak. Do you see any coolant on the ground after the car sits over night? Take a look at the very center pulley on the belt drive system. Do you see any coolant dripping from under the pulley?

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
well.....ive help my water pump in my hand and unless they changed somthing from 06 to 07 ....its an o ring...and no on the UDP's with the electric...you can run stock pullies with it.

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
If the water pump is leaking I'm sure it's not the o-ring gasket. It's probably wear in the pump bearings which cause a little slop, then the shaft seal starts to leak. Do you see any coolant on the ground after the car sits over night? Take a look at the very center pulley on the belt drive system. Do you see any coolant dripping from under the pulley?
one thing i didint check for was a weep hole on the shaft of the pumps...you know if ours has one?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Idk, the guy said it was leaking so I'm hoping i'll just need a new gasket cuz I haven't picked it up yet, how much are electric and where could I find one, I've looked on summit, moss, and AM

check out steedas web site they have one on there for ya if you want to uprade while you have it out.

But 50,000? really?? did you look at it yourself? do you run hot lava and sand through your lines?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
check out steedas web site they have one on there for ya if you want to uprade while you have it out.

But 50,000? really?? did you look at it yourself? do you run hot lava and sand through your lines?
yea idk, i havent looked at it i just took it in for service and he told me i, i was supose to pick up the car today but there still checken stuff so i get it tomarow morning, i dont drive it super hard all the time, i honestly have no idea how thats posable ether, so hopfully hes gunna say somthing to my benifit when i pick it up

·
Registered
292 Posts
IF its leaking, its probably 99% chance a bad water pump vs just the gaskets (o-rings). Whether you go electric or mechanical I suggest a new pump. Parts fail, its not likely at 50k but it can happen.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
it's easy, belt off, bolts off, take off , scrap, new sealant, new gasket, put on, bolt on, belt on.

done

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
It doesn't use a gasket like the old ones, it has an o-ring/groove which acts as the gasket. Much better than old school gaskets. They really practically never leak there. When the bearings in the pump begin to go bad, get slop in them or any other internal problem they will usually begin to leak through the weep hole which is about an 1/8'' hole on the side/bottom of the pump most of the time. If the pump bearings get so bad that you can actually rock the pulley back and forth they will then sometimes leak right through the bearing/shaft area.

I've never even had a mod motor water pump in my hand, but they look very basic and small. I don't know if it has a weep hole either. The main thing to do is look under the car for spots on the ground, check the water pump area for leak. Get the car hot, check again, shut it down, check again.

·
IBEATU
5,919 Posts
You should get under the car and shine a flashlight up at the water pump and look for coolant seeping from the bottom of it. And Anthony is right, when a newer water pump is leaking you need a new one, it is usually a failure from the part not from the gasket/ or o-ring.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts