Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of any good products to remove wax residue on the black trim. I waxed my car a couple weeks ago and got rushed/careless towards the end and ended up getting some wax on the trim. I tried using a tooth brush and some water then using back to black but it looks good for a wash or two then it comes back. I have heard of vegetable oil/penut butter/isopropal alcohol and all types of other **** but was wondering if anyone had any luck with a product they have tried.

·
Registered
105 Posts
From Meguiar's:

22. How do I remove wax from vinyl trim, plastic cladding, and rubber parts?

The best way to remove wax from vinyl or rubber is to use Meguiar's #39 Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner. #39 will emulsify and breakdown the dry wax residue. If you have a tough time locating #39, any all-purpose cleaner should also do the job. Agitating the cleaner by gently scrubbing the surface with a soft bristle brush, like a toothbrush, can help break up the wax. Once you have cleaned the vinyl and/or rubber surface, bring back the natural color and help protect it with an application of a vinyl/rubber conditioner and protectant like NXT Tech ProtectantTM, Natural Shine, Gold Class Vinyl/ Rubber Protectant, M-40 Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner, or Gold Class Trim Detailer.

I have used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponge to get some wax off my trim before. It works great, BUT STAY AWAY FROM YOUR PAINT WITH IT!

Also WD-40 on a rag, again be careful around your paint.

Peanut butter does work very well and has natural oils, I'm surprised that idea still floats around.

I no longer use those type's of wax for that very reason. I can now wax my car in a few hours and not worry about white residue. Klasse products are nice!

·
Registered
2018 Mustang GT Manual
1,592 Posts
I used Turtle Wax Ice spray detailer and it worked great. Sprayed it on and wiped it off.

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
Or you could try Duragloss Wax Eraser.

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you're using Back-to-Black, or any similar product, try it with a cotton terry cloth towel and just a slight amount of elbow grease. A gentle split-end detail brush may also be helpful with a little finesse.

Applying Back-to-Black before you wax, or using a synthetic wax, will help prevent this challenge in the future; another alternative to preventing stains is using painter's tape, but the trim must not have any dressing on it or it won't stick.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Pre-WOW, pink eraser, mr clean magic eraser, Ultima Tier and Trim Guard plus

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
best way is prevention! use some masking tape on trim areas prior to. however, i know that wont help now.

i've used peanut butter for my cowl panel, stuff works great and rejuvenates the plastic. only side effect is cleaning off the mess it leaves, and it does leave a mess. do it BEFORE a wash lol.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover. Come back with 303 Aerospace. Yes, it'll bring a little black up with it, but trust me you're fine. Make sure you dress it because the adhesive remover will strip anything and everything from there.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
I'll be honest I don't even tape stuff off anymore unless I'm using something that I know will chalk trim but all of the products I use don't really leave any residue.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Took off a **** load of polish residue on black trim on a 2011 GT/CS about 2 hours ago that the dealership body shops got on it. I am going to correct it tomorroe. I used a pink eraser and it worked really well to remove the residue.

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
WD 40 has worked for me in the past.
Morty-- your car is really shinin man. Looks so good now thats its spotless. I'll have to clean my new whip to get on your level

1 - 14 of 14 Posts