Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening,

I have an 87 ford mustang 5.0. On the highway, the steering wheel has too much play, it seem way to loose.. Why ? It feels like if i needed to switch lanes in a hurry, i would be in big trouble... What can I do about this problem ?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
You still have power steering in it correct? Or was it removed?

Does it only have play on the highway? what about parking, driving down the roads at lower speeds??

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Does it drift as well or seem to get squirrelly in ruts? You will have to do some basic stuff to narrow it down a bit.
Pick the the front end and wiggle a tire back and forth with your hands. Watch the tie rod and notice what is moving and what is not moving while doing it and listen for clicks/clunks. This will help you narrow down the slop. It could be a combination of a lot of things if nothing has been replaced for a while like inner, outer tie rods, worn struts or strut bushings. My 91 needs some steering work but it is not as bad as you describe. You might want to figure that out soon ;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Could be that the steering is wearing out. Most of the driving is done with the steering wheel straight, only making small adjustments to stay in lanes and such. The very middle of the rack will wear out faster than the outsides, which may explain your issue.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
does the entire steering wheel move up and down? inside the column next to the ignition switch is where the column is bolted down and those bolts can come loose causing sloppy steering, check for that, as well as what the others said, tie rods, ball joints, steering rack mounts, and the u-joints in the column

·
Free Mouth Hugs
9,037 Posts
Mine does the same thing, I can turn the wheel a few inches each way and no motion in the tires. sucks on highway when i hit a dip its hard to keep in lane. i will be looking at all the above mentioned.

i know my rack is bad it leaks, But would that cause all the play in the steering wheel itself?

·
Free Mouth Hugs
9,037 Posts
ok well i was avoiding changing the rack this year, winters almost here and its not plated. what the best replacement for street driving?? should i go manual or get a better power steering??

sorry for thread jack :cool:

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I agree, it'll give you all the feeling back and if you get the kit you'll get the inner/outer tie rods, rack and steering shaft so everything will be new and tighter then a nuns ****
50Resto has a kit that includes a new stock style rack, dust boots, rack bushings, inner tie rod ends and rod already installed, outer tie rods ends, and strut bushings for like $250. Seems like a good deal to rejuvenate your front end in one shot. Throw in some new ball joints with that kit and you should be safe and steering good for years. Its not the same level as the Flaming River swap but a lot cheaper.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts