Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about what I want to do to my car and what not.. I'm just trying to get it a little faster. I really want some more ponies.. So far my 2008 sixxer just has a custom h-pipe and Dual american thunders from flowmaster. I wish I got some long tube headers when I got my exhaust put on. Still thinking about them now if the install isn't too expensive. Then looking to get a CAI + Tune... Is there anything else that would make my sixxer that much better?

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
speed = money

how fast do you want to go?

gears and tlok wont add power, but it will wake that baby up.

get 4.10 gears and tlok. you'll love it.

cai and sct x3 tuner are essential. makes the exhaust sound better, and you'll want the tuner to account for the new gears

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
+1 for gears.

They won't get you any more horsepower, but they'll definitely give you a good boost as measured by the butt-dyno.

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
O, and the reason for tlok is because with the differentials that we have stock( open diffs.), only the back right tire moves the car, and the tlok hooks the wheels together so they both make the car go. better traction from take off. also, with gears and no tlok, you will burn that wheel like a skank. Try it for yourself- do a little burnout and see where the rubber is on the pavement

·
Safud: MM's Resident Hadji
5,242 Posts
the vid i watched on horsepower tv threw one on an 07 v6 and with the x-charger and exhaust put it at 280rwhp on 8 psi...comes with tune from factory...and sounds beastly...i only wish they made one for the new edge
They do...basically a M112 :lol

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whats the best gears to get? 3.73 or 4.10? and what do i need to get to have both wheels spin?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
The rule of thumb for gears is if you have a manual tranny then go with the 3.73 gears and if you have an auto then go with the 4.10. You can go 4.10 even with a stick but people dont seem to like it. Not sure why. Think it has to do something with 1st gear being so short or something.

You need to get a T-lok installed when you have the gears installed to get both tires to spin.

Also if you're going to be putting alot of horsepower on this car later you may want to think about putting a stronger rear end on it. I dont know how well these rear ends hold up but i know it was suggested that an 8.8 rear end be installed for a lot more horsepower.

Someone please correct me if i told him something wrong

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
turbo > x charger

Gears / tlok would be a good next mod.

And its not how fast do you want to go, its how fast do you want to spend.

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
turbo > x charger

Gears / tlok would be a good next mod.

And its not how fast do you want to go, its how fast do you want to spend.
You know what you can do?

You can touch yourself.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
I've never understood why people get lower gears with the automatic. With the way torque converters work, you get considerably MORE torque off the line with an automatic, meaning you would get the same initial acceleration with higher gears. Automatics usually have less forward gear ratios, so you'd want to stretch each gear out a bit.

Maybe the lower-gears-for-automatics is a drag race thing?

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
I've never understood why people get lower gears with the automatic. With the way torque converters work, you get considerably MORE torque off the line with an automatic, meaning you would get the same initial acceleration with higher gears. Automatics usually have less forward gear ratios, so you'd want to stretch each gear out a bit.

Maybe the lower-gears-for-automatics is a drag race thing?
I always thought it was because the auto tranny absorbs more power, so they need 4.10's, whereas manuals can get the same acceleration with 3.73's, and they don't have to shift as fast, which could slow them down b/c of the time it takes to shift.

·
Registered
569 Posts
well... id say people say get 4.10's with autos because you dont have to shift autos yourself so why not go all out and get 4.10's.. 5 speed guys complain about the gear being to short in 1st, with autos you dont really care about how short your gear is.
my opinion

·
Registered
11 Posts
you need a tuner before you get gears or your spedometers gonna be ****ed up. do a cai tuner combo from bamachips and then get gears and a t-lok

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have been thinking about what I want to do to my car and what not.. I'm just trying to get it a little faster. I really want some more ponies.. So far my 2008 sixxer just has a custom h-pipe and Dual american thunders from flowmaster. I wish I got some long tube headers when I got my exhaust put on. Still thinking about them now if the install isn't too expensive. Then looking to get a CAI + Tune... Is there anything else that would make my sixxer that much better?
save money do it youself.. its not that hard u can do it

·
Registered
19 Posts
There are a few ways to go depending on your budget. I agree with most in that gears and a diff. is a very good place to start. Go with an 8.8 take off and gears of your choice. I would go 4.10's personally manual or auto unless you plan on going with a turbo later down the road. Don't know why there is x hate going on here. I've always heard nothing but good things about it.

Mustang Takeoff Parts at V6MustangStuff.com

·
Registered
160 Posts
i have a 07 v6 with cdc shaker scoop cai assist, c&l cai, jet maf, bbk 70 mm throttle body, underdrive pully, screamin deamin coils with msd wires and fussion plugs, pypes 69 series exhaust with x-pype, i deleted the mufflers and added exhaust dumps, shorty headers, spec 3 clutch with aluminum flywheel, hurst short through shifter with rattle fixed and stop bolts added, aluminum driveshaft with safety loop, 8.8 rear with 3.73 and t-lock, diablosport programmer with custom tune, che upper and lowers, saleen racecraft drag shocks, swar bar 4 point rear brace, steeda panhard bar and brace, gt springs, nitto drag radials, front g-track brace with torgue limiters, drilled and slotted rotors, gt new take off rims, upgraded fuel pumps with , mafia, and dyno tune. mine runs like a beast. make sure you keep it a well-rounded package to get the most of everything.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts