Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i work with a lot of dang tuner guys and all i hear is weight reduction this and weight reduction that. i heard a stock gt with a full suspension kit can dip in the 12's, is it true? if so, whats a good mod that can help free up some weight and make somewhat of a difference?

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
take out the rear seats, take out all of the insulations and stuff in the trunk, the spare, jack and any extra crap, and if your gonna race, pull out the passenger seat. my car with some weight reduction wieghs a little over 3000 pounds without me in it.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea the rumor is that a bone stock right out of the factory with a full suspension can run 12's (supposedly). thats what i though also but just trying to get 411 on it.

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
i could see it being done possibly but it would take different axles as your gonna need slicks and to launch from a high rpm to get it done. i launch mine at 7000

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
take out the rear seats, take out all of the insulations and stuff in the trunk, the spare, jack and any extra crap, and if your gonna race, pull out the passenger seat. my car with some weight reduction wieghs a little over 3000 pounds without me in it.

And 2700 with you out of it.

I hadda do it, drgn. :lmao

takiller, also consider things like an aluminum drive shaft & flywheel, which reduces rotating mass. A reduction in rotating mass means less parasitic loss of horsepower, and can be the equivalent of gaining 10-15 hp at the wheels.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Its possible with slicks and a full suspension and REALLY GOOD DRIVING. Full suspension will do alot more than most people realize. Our cars are really not that heavy. The tuner guys are trying to reduce weight because they are macing out at 250hp before adding a power adder. And even then , they can't hook and get faster than a 12.5 without tearing the whole thing appart and making it into a purpose built car. Don't worry so much about weight reduction as adding some more torque. Get a new Cam and some slicks, maybe take off your front sway bar and get new control arms and shocks\springs. And you should run in the 12's. Assuming you can drive.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
do you have a stock rearend? drgnracin72

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
Yea that would be tough without some mods. As far as reducing weight, LEAVE THE INTERIOR ALONE! (unless its gunna be a track car, the rear seats dont weigh that much) Id start with putting the battery in the trunk, tubular k-member, Lighter hood.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanx for the help guys.

·
Registered
10,512 Posts

takiller, also consider things like an aluminum drive shaft & flywheel, which reduces rotating mass. A reduction in rotating mass means less parasitic loss of horsepower, and can be the equivalent of gaining 10-15 hp at the wheels.
i said 3000 without me in it

anyways weve got a guy at my local track running low 12s on a stock motor besides a k&n cia, but its a purpose built drag car but it will yank the tiress. anyways its possible with the right stuff done

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
no i dont have a stock rearend, check your other thread

·
Carving corners
3,328 Posts

lol someone can't read.:eek:

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Hey the idea of the joke is still funny. I know drgn, and although he portrays this eViL meanie on the forums, I guarantee you he was snickering at his monitor.

:lol

Bite me. lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yea that would be tough without some mods. As far as reducing weight, LEAVE THE INTERIOR ALONE! (unless its gunna be a track car, the rear seats dont weigh that much) Id start with putting the battery in the trunk, tubular k-member, Lighter hood.

i take the passenger and rear seat out at the track. but the interior looks terrible (and gets road noise) with the seat taken out, even with the delete kit.

·
Registered
55 Posts
More than a few years ago Hot Rod did an article where they took a stock 75 or 76 Cadillac Coupe DeVille and made a bunch of passes on it, but taking more and more stuff off it each pass. In the end it was a seat on a frame with a motor, transmission and running gear. What they discovered was that each 100 pounds off is worth about 1/10 of a second at the strip. So lose 1000 pounds and gain a full second.

Or lose a full second, depending on how you look at it.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
me and a friend pulled interior out of my car and weighed them, juts to see what we could do on an otherwise stock car.

trunk interior- 12lbs
spare tire-24lbs
jack w/ lug wrench- 7lbs
passenger seat-42lbs
rear speaker box (under rear dash)-20lbs
rear seat cushion- 9lbs
rear seat back rest- 23lbs
rear dash cushion- 4lbs
front sway bar w/ end links- 17lbs
weight under diff housing- 10lbs
medal plate under steering column- 2lbs

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
me and a friend pulled interior out of my car and weighed them, juts to see what we could do on an otherwise stock car.

trunk interior- 12lbs
spare tire-24lbs
jack w/ lug wrench- 7lbs
passenger seat-42lbs
rear speaker box (under rear dash)-20lbs
rear seat cushion- 9lbs
rear seat back rest- 23lbs
rear dash cushion- 4lbs
front sway bar w/ end links- 17lbs
weight under diff housing- 10lbs
medal plate under steering column- 2lbs
That's awesome, 170 lbs without too much effort or completely changing your car. That 170 lbs will make a big difference.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts