Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have been looking at some posts about rim weight. I have an 02 with the stock 16 inch rims and they weight about 40lbs is what i think i saw with tires. I am looking to get the bullit 17X8 with sumitomo tires for the front, and 17X10.5 with sumitomo 315s out back, how much weight would the front and the rear weight? i do not want to add a bunch of weight to slow my car down

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well that is really the only brand that am has on their site. what is wrong with them?

·
Ginger with No Soul
1,124 Posts
Depends, chrome or painted finish bullitts? I did the weight on the Anthracites and Sumitomos:

17X8 is 24.5lbs. 17X10.5 is 26.95lbs. 315/35-17 tire is 28lbs. 245/45-17 is 24.25lbs. Total weight: 207.4lbs.

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
I did a thread like this a while back, and I think I got some good responses. I'll look for it.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i guess i fig they would obviously be heavier, but i was wondering how much. Would i feel a difference?

·
Attention Grabber
218 Posts
well i guess i fig they would obviously be heavier, but i was wondering how much. Would i feel a difference?
I highly doubt you'll feel too much of a difference!! Haha i was thinking about buying Sumitomos, but Nitto is the way to go! Yea their a little more expensive but they go a long way in quality over Sumitomos!!

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
Idk people trash sumitomo...for all these low power cars if you have posi its perfectly fine. especially price wise over nitto's pft.
My sumitomos lasted through way more burnouts and driving then my nittos. my sumitomos about 1 1/2 years the nittos barely hit a year. and the second time around they only lasted 9-10months
plus once you make some decent power and torque nittos suck balls next to a Mickey ET Street. just mickeys are the worth with tire life....expect about 2-3months

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok well i just want a fairly cheap tire, i dont do much drag racing at a track. And where do you get those at? and are they lighter.
Weld Racing prostars ftw

·
Registered
389 Posts
Not a knock on you, but you will not notice a few lb difference in the weight of the wheels. Get what ever wheels you like.. imho.
Assuming his guess of his current combo weighing 160lbs is correct and nasty's numbers(207lbs) are also correct, that will most definitely be noticeable. 40lbs of extra rotating mass is a lot.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am not sure on the weight of my wheels, that is just what i saw someone say. I guess next time i have them off i will weight them. Well did anyone else put rims and tires similar to these on and did you notice a big difference. I mean I understand a tiny bit of difference.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
Not a knock on you, but you will not notice a few lb difference in the weight of the wheels. Get what ever wheels you like.. imho.
your insane if you think so...i noticed a difference between a wheel that weigh'd 8-10lbs more then stock...a noticable difference. and i never noticed crap

ok well i just want a fairly cheap tire, i dont do much drag racing at a track. And where do you get those at? and are they lighter.
Summit Racing - High Performance Car and Truck Parts l 800-230-3030 or JEGS Performance Auto Parts - Accel Billet Specialties Edelbrock MSD Moroso Mr Gasket has them. great wheel and IMO looks sick

·
Registered
356 Posts
Idk people trash sumitomo...for all these low power cars if you have posi its perfectly fine. especially price wise over nitto's pft.
My sumitomos lasted through way more burnouts and driving then my nittos. my sumitomos about 1 1/2 years the nittos barely hit a year. and the second time around they only lasted 9-10months
plus once you make some decent power and torque nittos suck balls next to a Mickey ET Street. just mickeys are the worth with tire life....expect about 2-3months
I had the all season sumitomos and they only lasted me 9-10 months. I never really did burnouts, maybe just a couple, and they were gone fast. I have a friend who said the same thing about his all seasons... Maybe its just the all season tires that are not the best? I never tried their drag radials because I have to drive in the winter, so I will take your word for it

·
So say we all.
594 Posts
If youre worried about weight, I assume youre a street or drag racer. A good way to lighten up is to pull out the back seat and do the delete panel from AmericanMuscle.com. That's -90lbs!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, I am more so a street racer than a drag racer, tho I do occasionaly go to the track.
your insane if you think so...i noticed a difference between a wheel that weigh'd 8-10lbs more then stock...a noticable difference. and i never noticed crap
I do not understand what you mean. Do you mean you felt a difference in weight, but did not notice a difference in performance? Please clarify

If youre worried about weight, I assume youre a street or drag racer. A good way to lighten up is to pull out the back seat and do the delete panel from AmericanMuscle.com. That's -90
I was actually hoping to do that but I am undecided.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts