Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
After I installed my Steeda CAI and Bama tune the idle drops to about 300-500 rpms right after I give it some gas then slowly creeps back up to normal. I contacted Bama tunes and they said everything looks good with the tune and I could have a leak in my CAI somewhere. Well after checking it over a few times i could not find any leak. Does anyone know what this could be?

2006 Roush
Flowmasters
M90 w/smaller pulley
Steeda CAI w/Bama Tune

·
MM's Resident Muffler Shop
3,048 Posts
Clean you're TB. I had that happen to me. You'd be surprised how little dirt it takes to screw w/ your RPM's

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My throttle body is nice and clean. I only have 5,000 miles on the car. The problem started right after I installed the Steeda CAI and tune. Before it ran perfect. I think its the tune but I called Bama twice about it and they said the tune looks good.

·
3,048 Posts
I thought the same thing. I had cleaned mine on the last oil change. Go check it anyways. I'll wait ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so when I pulled the intake tube to take off the TB I noticed that the end of the tubing was cracked and bent down so maybe this was effecting airflow? Anyway did some fab work on it, cleaned the TB, put everything back together and now its running normal again! So either way thanks for the help vastang757. Reps given! I love Olivia Munn!:D

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Awesome! Glad to hear that was it. Un-metered air leaks through cracks will cause things like this all the time. That's really cool that you caught it!

·
3,048 Posts
Ok, so when I pulled the intake tube to take off the TB I noticed that the end of the tubing was cracked and bent down so maybe this was effecting airflow? Anyway did some fab work on it, cleaned the TB, put everything back together and now its running normal again! So either way thanks for the help vastang757. Reps given! I love Olivia Munn!:D
Glad you got it figured out and fixed!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Guys, I thought I got this problem fixed but apparently not. So I cleaned the TB, made sure there were no leaks coming from the CAI and It seemed to run good for a little while but now its back! Still the idle drops to about 3-4000 RPMs everytime I hit the gas and now its even stalled out on me a couple times! Could it be a bad TPS?:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Ive had Idle issues too.. I was told to check for leaks.. didn't find any.. I did clean the TB and it did make alittle differance, but I still have my idle problems.. Check some of my other posts if your interested..

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Just a thought but have you checked your maf mine did something similar but turns out my maf was backwards

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yah, I did all that. No leaks, checked MAF, cleaned TB. I thought it was Tune related because it started right after I installed the tune and Steeda CAI but I contacted Bama a few times and I was told the tune looks good. First I had the BBK TB on and the throttle response was terrible so I put the stock one back on and was way better but now its just the dam idle. Its fine just sitting there but right after i give it some gas, the car wants to stall.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe my TPS went bad. Can you buy just the TPS or do you have to get the whole throttle body?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I had something similar happen to me check your plug for the Maf mine had some debris keeping it from making a proper connection causing the car to idle rough and stall when I gave it gas.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Take the stock throttle body and clean the crap out of it. Make sure to get behind the blades and everything. Your TPS, if it went bad, would throw a CEL, send you into failsafe mode, etc.

Check your CAI connection for leaks, make sure MAF is clean and plugged in. Also, check your fuel filter.

9 times out of 10 it's the stock throttle body being dirty. There's stuff that CRC sells that is safe for the stock throttle body coating, but will clean it all out.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well after cleaning and going through the car again I started it up and let it idle a bit then gave it some gas and the car had bad throttle response and there seemed to be a lot of smoke coming out the tailpipes. So I gave up and loaded the stock tune back in and it ran perfect! Ive given up contacting Bama about it cause they keep telling me the tune is good. I think im going to take my car to get dyno tuned at a shop just for some piece of mind. I just want my car to run right after a tune!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well after cleaning and going through the car again I started it up and let it idle a bit then gave it some gas and the car had bad throttle response and there seemed to be a lot of smoke coming out the tailpipes. So I gave up and loaded the stock tune back in and it ran perfect! Ive given up contacting Bama about it cause they keep telling me the tune is good. I think im going to take my car to get dyno tuned at a shop just for some piece of mind. I just want my car to run right after a tune!
I wasn't overly impressed with the Bama tunes either. Every tune Bama sent to me was way too rich below 4,000rpms. I ended up going to a local performance shop and had my car tuned on a Mustang dyno. The car runs great now and I get close to 27 mpg highway (if I keep my foot out of it).

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Ive also had idle problems, I don't want to knock anyone or anything, but I have been trying to use Bama tunes. They have been very willing to work with me, answering questions, telling me to try stuff, even doing some data logging with me. But in the end we still haven't been able to get it fixed. Ive cleaned TB's, sensors, checked connections, I even pulled the entire intake back off, and cleaned everything again, and checked for leaks, and then put it all back together. I too was at the point of brining it in to the local shop for dyno work. Right now Im giving VMP a shot, see if a different tuner can get it fixed, if not, I will have to bring it in to the local shop.

Ill let you know if the VMP tune fixes it.. Who knows maybe it is something that isn't tune related..

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yah, I'm not bashing Bama and there customer service was good but when your car runs better with the stock tune something is wrong. I found a shop near me that will dyno tune it for $375. I'm also having a D/S and LCA's installed. I now a lot of people here have good luck with email tunes but I rather KNOW its tuned right. eleanor08, let me know how VMP works out!

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
I'll be interested to see if the VMP Tuning tune works out for you. If it does than there was something up with the tune from Bama. If it doesn't than you can rest assured that there is something mechanically wrong or an underlying issue with the vehicle.

There are some 3Vs out there that tune very weird, especially with the ability to take the "normal" amount of timing. We are talking about such a small number of 3Vs like that though. I think I've only seen a handful of S197 3Vs with this sort of issue.

Yah, I'm not bashing Bama and there customer service was good but when your car runs better with the stock tune something is wrong. I found a shop near me that will dyno tune it for $375. I'm also having a D/S and LCA's installed. I now a lot of people here have good luck with email tunes but I rather KNOW its tuned right. eleanor08, let me know how VMP works out!
Who is the shop?? I want to try to stress this. People generally believe a dyno tune is going to automatically better since the vehicle is right there on their dyno vs an email tune. It's completely wrong. Sure there are places that can tune, but are you really around one of them? The modular motor Mustangs, especially 3Vs, aren't exactly that easy to tune especially when there is an underlying issue.

There are only a handful of tuners in the whole country that I would ever let tune my car. So, keep this is mind. Anyone thinking they want to use a local shop for a dyno tune should post here, asking if anyone knows anything about them, otherwise you could be "one of those guys" who ends up with a shitty tune or worse a blown motor.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know there is nothing wrong with my car now cause it ran perfect before I loaded the tune. After I loaded the email tune it ran terrible. It almost sounded like a deisel engine, really bad throttle response, it almost stalled everytime I hit the gas, and a lot of white smoke coming out of the tailpipes. Then returned the car back to stock and it ran perfect again. I don't want to keep trying different email tunes til it runs right so thats why I think a shop will be best. I'm taking it to Renegade Performance in San Diego. Hope they get it right!:confused:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts