Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 88 LX a few days ago and have noticed a wierd issue with it a few times. I will be driving like normal and it will be running fine and then it will just start bucking around a little bit like its cutting in and out. I can clutch it and rev it up a time or two and then it will be back to normal.

The first time it happened was when I was on the way home after purchasing it. I got pulled over for not having tags on it (I had a trip permit to get it home so I was legal). I pulled back out on the highway was getting up to speed. A few moments after I got into 5th it started bucking around a little. I clutched it and revved it up a little and then it was right back to normal and made the rest of the 80 mile drive home without another problem. The second time it happened was right after I stopped for gas the next day. It did the same thing. While getting back up to speed it started cutting out and after revving it a little it was back to normal.

Im not sure if it just a coincidence that it did it both times after being turned off for a few minutes or if that may have something to do with the issue.

It is a 88 LX 2.3 5-speed. It is all stock as far as I know.

·
six shooter
247 Posts
I've read about similar problems on the Rangers when I was looking for an issue that mine was having. I can't remember if those guys found it was the IAC (idle air controller), a vacuum leak, or some other module like the IAC. If I can dig up the info again I'll let you know. If not, maybe that'll give you somewhere to start looking.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I changed the PIP and TFI module when that happened to me.

Where are theses located and what do they do?

I am going to pull the IAC off and clean it today. I noticed that sometimes it idles a little funny so it would make since that it needs to be cleaned.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks. This is the first somewhat nice day that we have had here since I got it so I just went and poked around under the hood some. I found a few loose wires so I made sure everything was connected good. I also found 2 small coolant leaks that I need to take care of today. Nothing really too bad just a little damp around the thermostat housing and some coolant on one of the heater hoses. There are no oil leaks though. Going to take it on a drive and see if the loose wires had something to do with it andf maybe try to get it cleaned up some. Road salt really sticks out on a black car :(

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Took it for a drive yesterday and it did the same thing again. Made it about 14 miles on the highway and it felt like it lost alot of power and started bucking around when I would try to give it gas and smelled like it was running really rich. Just out of curiosity I pushed in the clutch and just let it idle and it seemed like it was idling fine. I revved it up a few times and still seemed like it was bucking a little when I gave it gas but finallay cleared up after about a minute and made it the rest of the day without a problem.

How much do the TFI and PIP modules normally cost and what are the likeley hood that they would actually fail? I think I found the parts on RockAuto's website but they called them by different names.

I was also told by someone that it may be a MAP sensor issue since a 88 is a SD car. I was kinda thinking a air/fuel issue myself since when it does start cutting out it smells like it is running really rich.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried to look up pictures of the TFI and PIP to see what they looked like and all the pictures are showing the same part. It is showing the module that bolts to the side of the distributor that a 5 or 6 wire plug going to it. This is the same part as Rockauto has listed as ignition control module and has it listed for $23.89.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also cross referencing the parts with a 85 5.0 GT shows the same part number. Are they they actually the same? I have a 85 T-top GT that is out of commission right now. If they are the same I will just swap them out and see if it makes a difference. I know the 85 parts are good because it was running and driving great untill we pulled the trans to go in my buddy's 93 GT.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I forgot to post back here that I figured out what was wrong with my car. I put in new plugs, wires, cap and rotor and changed the MAP sensor. It seemed to run a bit better (didnt cut out as much) after I changed the MAP sensor but felt really sluggish.

My friend had a new O2 sensor that he bought for his 1993 GT but didnt change yet. I found out that they were the same part number so I changed it out. After a week driving the car back and forth to work it has not cut out on me single time and seems to run great now. I am going to put my factory MAP sensor back on tomorow and see if it runs even better since the new one I put on it made it feel like it lost some power.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
When i had this issue all i did was change plugs

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The plugs and wires were the first thing I tried. Then the cap and rotor. I figured it needed a tune up anyway so it was worth a shot. Then I got the MAP sensor and TFI module off a car that was being parted out. I never got around to changing the TFI module because I dont have the right bit to get the screws out.

I drove it like it was untill about a week ago then found that O2 and put it in. It cleared right up after that. The old O2 sensor looked really bad and sounded like it had rocks in it if you shook it so Id say it was probably really old. May have been the factory one but I dont know for sure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
With mine it was cracked vac hoses. check them all . if the MAP sensor has a poor vac supply the engine will do that .. Mine had 4 bad hoses and it fixed it right up

1 - 17 of 17 Posts