Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Shoulda had a V8
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been getting realllly bad mpg as of late, something like 150-170 a tank. I've cleaned the MAF sensor, which when I pulled it out, was ridiculously clean before and looked exactly the same after. I get whiffs of it running rich when I turn it on and sometimes at idle, usually when its cold. After running it for a while I got under it and couldn't smell anything. Any ideas?

·
Shoulda had a V8
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its the stock 5 speed. I always keep it under 3k with reasonable driving. I rarely go WOT...

No check engine. Could be the O2 sensors, but no CEL. Im fairly certain the plugs were changed within 3-4 months ago.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Unless it has something to do with your ignition (spark plug wires, coil pack, maybe your new spark plugs were installed incorrectly) I would assume either bad O2 sensors or bad catalytic converters are most likely. Have you seen a drop in power along with MPG's. If your cats are bad, you'll lose significant power. Of course many things can cause loss of MPG, it could be fuel system related too. I would start with O2 sensors though.

·
Shoulda had a V8
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes everything is stock, it passed smog when I bought it roughly two months ago. I'll check the O2 sensors first, previous owner said everything from battery to plugs was redone by a shop because of corrosion. Other than that, I haven't really noticed a drop in power, again I think its a sensor or electrical issue because the smell goes away when the engine is warm.

·
Registered
390 Posts
ford eec5 is junk. are you certain the fuel guage is somewhat accurate with the slosh module?does the motor rock side to side on idle? is it impossible to get more than 20 mpg no mater how lite you accelerate? you ever smell rotten eggs? is alignment good? does the rear diff or brakes get very warm after short drive? find a turturial on how to properly test o2 sensors with a propane torch or get it plugged into a tuner to see STFT LTFT.

·
Was str8chillng
506 Posts
Im gonna be getting the O2 sensors tested, and yes, the drivers side manifold is cracked.
That can most definitely cause bad mileage due to the fact the engine is trying to compensate for the loss, in most causes, it'll run rich.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts