Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i have a 90 5.0, ive had it for about 3 years, well within the last 2 months when i accelerate and the rpms hit like 3000-4000 there is a strange whiney noise that comes from my engine, long story short i was with my friend last night and i floored it and it made that noise and he asked what it was and he said its not supposed to make that noise, ive never heard a supercharger, but he said it sounds like one, but i know its not, does anyone know what that sound is??? I have only a few mods and its only been making this noise for a couple months.

·
Registered
698 Posts
First thing to look for is rub marks on the top underside of the fan shroud attached to the radiator. Old motor mounts separate and allow the engine to rotate enough for the fan to contact the shroud. It will get worse as time goes on.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
both good suggestions

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
I got that same noise and I thought it was a timing issue. I need to check that myself. if you find out before I do, please pm me on that issue. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok well the first thing is i have a stock flex fan and a new one came with the car when i bought it but i havent installed it, so i will be able to check that out when i change it, i checked my tranny fluid level yesterday and it was in teh crosshatched area and i tsaid not to put any in, and im nto sure about the water bearings buti have a brand new power steering pump in as of 5 months ago, but thanks!!!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
well if it is a whistling like a supercharger....does the car has a CAI? It could be that. Iknow when I put my BBK TB with a CAI and everyone thought mine was supercharger....well it is now but it wasnt then./

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
If it sounds like a supercharger I'd start with your rotary parts like your accessories and drivetrain, maybe the pulley's have seen better days. Or if you're reffering to a "SSSSSSSSSS" sound then I'd start with vac leaks. Could also double check what's going on inside the engine as well just to inspect things are not loosing up on you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mines not that loud but that is the noise its making, but i took it down to the transmission shop and i blew the first gear the 2nd gear and overdrive... so they think thats what the problem is... :( and it all takes money i dont have

·
Registered
371 Posts
mines not that loud but that is the noise its making, but i took it down to the transmission shop and i blew the first gear the 2nd gear and overdrive... so they think thats what the problem is... :( and it all takes money i dont have

k who told you you blew every gear in the trans, does the car drive, if so does it slip really bad meaning "when you floor it do your rpms go really high but you dont harely move" if not you havent blown anyhting yet...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah i just went back and the guy who helped me was fired, he was trying to get me to buy a whole new transmission thinking im a kid and i have no idea, anyways od is half out cause once i get to 40 mph it stops accelerating and just revvs... well after wards i took it in to smog and got failed, there is a small rubber hose beneath the upper manifold its hard to see but if you look under the littlle dip in the manifold its there and it was torn to shreads, holes and cuts everywhere, well they changed me a lil over 100 bucks to repair and then 54 for smog but they fixed it and the said the noise should be gone... but its not! i even took my cold air out and stuck a k&n in and it still makes that noise!! i have no i dea what to do next... :-\

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
I've found out of my car that big noises can me little things like a rotor, clutch(on the fan), pulleys, power steering. So I don't know man. Just do this for me and don't let another person tell you anything for a buck.(Mechanics Prostitution). Let them determine and PROVE that's the problem before you say ok take my wonderful car I worked my ass off for and fix it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
do you have a ps or a/c delete kit that uses the tensioner on the underside of the belt. If so, i bet you also are running a gator belt. for some reason those belts whine when they are on the tensioner pulley. the only remedy i have found is to put a grooved pulley on the tensioner and it goes away.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Im betting it is a bad bearing in one of your pulleys. Try revving the engine in neutral. If it makes the noise then, and changes pitch as the rpms increase it is likely a pulley bearing. Could be a power steering or water pump pulley, but it also could just be an idler pulley going bad. I had my 01 GT make a similar noise when one of the idler pulley's bearings went bad. take it to somewhere like express oil change or anywhere. they have a thing that is like a stethoscope (what Drs. use to hear your heart) but it has a metal rod on the end. they can touch the pulleys with that rod and see if the sound is coming from one and tell you which one.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Take the belt off and run the car to see if it is pulley related. If the nois stops when the belt is off then start inspecting pulleys. Also a mechanics stethoscope comes in handy for tracking down odd noises.
Another suggestion would be to check the dizzy gear could possibly be worn and they do tend to whine when the go.

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
You know what. believe it or not, I now somehow have that same supercharger sound in my car. i started it up and it was very intimidating to others staring. Then after about 3 miles it went away Hmmm..

·
Registered
401 Posts
that sounds to me more like a fan clutch seems to be bad... mine is bad now and I'm taking it off for an electric fan..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts