Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Back from the Dead
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a weird noise start yesterday, and get very noticeable today.
It happens in sync with the rpm and gets louder when slower and turning.
The sound is like a whine of an electric motor, like if you were to push an RC car while it is off, but deeper. I was checking things out and found that the power-steering fluid seems to be low...

SO, I would like to know what the symptoms of low steering fluid and what kind of damage that is doing, as well as your opinions of what is going on...

·
Back from the Dead
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was going to anyway, but what I wanted to know was if I should be looking at something else as well. :)

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Put some fluid in their, have a friend full lock your steering wheel back and forth a couple times.

While your under the hood looking for a leak it could be something simple as a hose, or something like a crack in the steering pump LOL

If you cant find it, put some stop leak in it sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.

If you ran it with not enough fluid in it for to long it'll burn up the power steering pump...

Good luck!

·
Back from the Dead
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I put some fluid in it, and the noise quieted down. . . haven't checked for leaks yet, but I will before I drive it next weekend.

-sircrash, I feel dumb but what is the "r n p,"?

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
You have a Ford steering pump. Period. They are noisy as all hell. Make sure it isn't leaking and if it has enough fluid in it then that's it. You can buy a new one, but they still work even though they are noisy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts