Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Mustang GT, Manual.

I am hearing some knocking coming from the engine bay, when I get in closer to try and determine where its coming from, it seems like its coming from behind the engine, not the engine itself. On top of that, the shifter is vibrating and it never did before. I can also feel the vibration in the clutch and brake pedal. Anyone ever experience this, or have any ideas?

I dont think its the engine as I said, because it sounds like the knocking is coming from behind the engine, where the tranny bolts up to the engine, but I cant get any closer to tell. Going to take it into the shop tomorrow, but curious if anyone has experienced this before.

·
Registered
890 Posts
mayyyyyyybe the clutch...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One thing I forgot to add, when I push the clutch in, I hear a squeeking noise that is coming from what sounds like under the engine. This happens almost everytime I push in the clutch. The scary part to me is the knocking, oil only has 2500 miles on it, its full synthetic Mobile 1, I really have not driven the card hard at all in the past 6 months, and I just noticed the knocking noise today.

·
Registered
890 Posts
my friends stang´s clutch rattles. thats why i said that. but as for the squeking noise ..................idk

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my friends stang´s clutch rattles. thats why i said that. but as for the squeking noise ..................idk
Its not really a rattle, it is a knocking noise, and it wasnt happening before. I just noticed it today when I was sitting at idle in the parking lot of work. So I popped the hood and its definitely a knocking type sound coming from what sounds like behind the engine.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
does the knock go away when you put the clutch in?
does it knock when the car is in gear moving?
does it only knock when the car is at idle, and not moving?, or anytime it's in idle?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does the knock go away when you put the clutch in?
does it knock when the car is in gear moving?
does it only knock when the car is at idle, and not moving?, or anytime it's in idle?
Not sure on #1. Havent had someone push the clutch in for me when I was listening.

When I am under the hood and I rev up the engine, it sounds like the noise goes away.

The vibration of the clutch, brake pedal, and shifter happens at idle, and when moving

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
My car was making a knocking sound, and it was the transmission mount. But this only happened when doing parking lot maneuvers though.

My throw out,,or pilot bearing will make a 'tick tick tick' occasionally, but not a knocking sound. Is you motor vibrating back and forth badly?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dont see it moving back and forth as to what I would call badly, but it does move some.

Any idea on what the squeeking noise is when I push in the clutch?

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
Misaligned flywheel and your TOB is going. I am 90% sure.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Misaligned flywheel and your TOB is going. I am 90% sure.
Hmm, would this cause misfires? I got a CEL pop up, read the codes and it was Misfire in first 1k rpm, also on cylinder 2, 4, and 7. Light went away and hasnt come back on though.

I assume I would need a new TOB, Flywheel and clutch? Any recommendations on some upgrades since they are going to have to be replaced anyway?

·
5,502 Posts
Don't necessarily need a new flywheel or clutch, TOB definitely, get a metal one. None of this would cause misfires though... I didn't know about that symptom. It went away and never came back? Just a fluke, I guess?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't necessarily need a new flywheel or clutch, TOB definitely, get a metal one. None of this would cause misfires though... I didn't know about that symptom. It went away and never came back? Just a fluke, I guess?
Just tested the clutch. The knocking noise persists when the clutch is pushed in. It sounds like the noise is coming from the bottom of the car. I can get underneath the car and can hear the knocking sound, and it sounds like its coming from the flywheel area. I cant be sure though

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does the fact that the knocking noise not stopping when the clutch is pushed in make a difference as to it being the TOB?

·
5,502 Posts
The TOB is making the squeak noise. The flywheel being misaligned is causing the vibration in the pedals and probably the knock as well. The knocking could also be caused by the tranny mount. The only way to know for sure is to drop the tranny and take a look. If it's coming from underneath and behind the engine, that's definitely where the problem lies.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So the knocking noise speeding up with RPM of the engine doesnt change the fact it could be the flywheel? Just curious. Trying to get an idea on how much this is gonna be to fix it =/

·
5,502 Posts
I thought when you revved, that the sound went away? It increases with the RPMs? I'm a bit confused now, I think you've gone out and listened more intently and noticed a few things since the first post, would you mind just listing all the symptoms as you know them now? I think it would help for us to understand the issue better.

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
The hamsters that run the wheel inside are getting so big for the wheel. Time for new ones. Nah man check the clutch. There is or at should be a cover with a 8mm bolt holding it on below the trans. If you pull if off you will see the clutch cable. There is just enough room to use a flash light and an inspection mirror to see what happenin up in there. try it out and see. It sound like a clutch issue. How is your trans mount btw?

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
Another thing it could be the balancer or maybe you ned a flywheel

1 - 19 of 19 Posts