Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a timing light and connect it to plug wire #1 with the spout connector off.
I can't find the white timing mark on my harmonic balancer to try to time my car.
I switch my timing light to plug wire #4 and I not only find the white timing mark, but is also where it should be, and my car seems to idle and run just fine.
Any ideas what could possibly cause such a thing?

88 Mustang 5.0 H.O

I'm no mathematician, and I have never installed a harmonic balancer before so this next thought is purely speculative.

If the harmonic balancer was installed with the notch in the wrong place, theoretically the vehicle could be easily timed from #1, 4, 6, or 7.
(4 bolts = 4 positions, 25% for #4, 50% for #6, 75% for #7, 100% for #1. Mathematically it actually makes sense as long as there aren't notches to ensure the harmonic balancer cannot be installed incorrectly.)

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
cant put it on wrong theres only 1 keyway on it. And did you put a white mark on it or youre assuming they come with them?

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
if the lights flashing and youre not seeing it could be youre blind or you need to move the dizzy alot meaning the timings way off

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While the light is attached to #1 I have turned it as far as it can go each way with no visible white mark. When I attach the light to #4 the mark is clearly visible.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
you know which wires number one right.... front passenger side cyl....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I do, I just did a tune up a few days ago. I do in fact have the manual for the book. I replaced the wires one by one so the chance of placing wires in the wrong order would be eliminated.
Yes, wire #1 is the front passenger side while wire #4 is the back passenger side.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
next question is do you know where to look for the mark? youre looking at the little bar right not through the hole on the timing ****

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, thats a good next question.
As far as I know that mark is supposed to be visible through the oval hole from the passenger side. Or am I simply mis-informed.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
problem found, not through the lil hole, further to the right is a little bar sticking out, thats where you time it from brah

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see the bar that I am supposed to time it off of. My brother-in-law seems to think that the "cover" or something on the harmonic balancer "slipped" and that is why the notch shows up when the timing light is on #4 wire and not visible from the passenger side while connected to #1. Going to replace the harmonic balancer tomorrow...if it doesn't rain like it is supposed to.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
or the timings 30 degrees advanced base due to trying to time it wrong. They dont slip often

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
30 degrees seems like a lot. I picked up a balancer for $35, so I figure it's worth it to try that.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
30 degrees base is bout where it ends up if you time it looking through the hole

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Decided to change it today. I'll post back as soon as this is done with either a problem solved or a damnit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, I went ahead and changed that. I removed the #1 wire, plug, and the distributer cap to get #1 to TDC. Then made my mark on the bar across the balancer. Just waiting for the white out to dry. I will post back after running it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea, made the mistake of dropping it in 180 degrees of on a previous mustang lol. Learned from my mistake there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts